3. Family Roots

After a long day of completing five sessions, Eun Hye was ready to relax for the rest of her evening. Sometimes her session could be long and mentally draining, but she was always able to pull through. It was 7 o'clock and she figured she had enough time to do one last thing before the evening ended. Eun Hye grabbed her jacket and handbag, then swiftly exited her office and out of the building.

The doctor's office location was in the heart of downtown Seoul. Everything was within walking distance, but the streets could be crowded with city-goers and tourists. Unlike many people that were aimlessly walking, Eun Hye knew where she needed to go, and wasted no time to get there. She dodged herself through the thick crowds, focusing on her main errand.

Just two blocks down from her office, there was a nice, small bakery that sold many baked goods. As Eun Hye stepped into this well-lit establishment, the store clerks and the manager greeted her. She was a regular customer of theirs and they were always happy to see her come in. She had a positive smile on her face and then immediately stood in front of the glass display. Although it was near closing time, the bakery always supplied fresh baked goods. There were so many choices, but Eun Hye was here to make a specific purchase.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Eun Hye." One of the clerks greeted her. "What brings you in tonight?"

"Annyeong!" She cheerful greeted back. "I'm looking for a cake."

"Any particular kind?"

Eun Hye lightly smiled. "Not really. Just something small."

The clerk looked above the glass display and pointed out a small, light brown butter-creamed cake. "How about this one?"

She carefully looked at it. "What flavor is it?"

"Mocha. It's our bakery's specialty. I think you're going to like it very much."

"Alright, I'll take it."

Eun Hye also decided to pick up some macaroons, since they were her favorite baked goods. She paid for her entire purchase and walked out of the bakery. She carefully carried the cake in a bag with one hand as she hailed a taxi.

"Driver, please take me to Yonhi-dong district.

Eun Hye looked at the cake through the plastic viewing area, thinking that her date would love it.

There was so much traffic going out of the city, especially on a Friday night. It usually would take 30 minutes to get to her destination, but it was taking much longer. Eun Hye looked at her watch a couple of times, realizing it was almost 8:30. She hoped that wasn't going to be late. As she sat in this heavy traffic, she looked out the window and pondered of the last time she had been back. With her busy working schedule, Eun Hye felt guilty of not putting aside more time for these moments. But since today was a special day, she wasn't going to miss it.

Traffic finally started moving right when they drove outside of the city limits. Eun Hye checked the time and striked at 8:45. Surprisingly, she was still making good time. The taxi driver drove down the highway at quick speeds, then exited off to enter into Yonhi-dong district. It was a nice, surburban area with large, beautiful houses that were much more affordable than other nearby districts. It was convenient for many individuals to live here and take public transportation into the city. Many familes, both young and old, loved to live here. It had great schools and there were many businesses and stores available to fit everyone's needs. That was why Eun Hye liked it here. She could escape from the hectic city life and wind down in a picturesque surburbia like Yonhi-dong. But it was more than a nice district to her.

It was home.

The taxi finally pulled up in a cul-de-sac. Eun Hye quickly paid the driver and stepped out of the vehicle to recognize the familiar neighborhood. With the cake in one hand, she carefully walked down the graveled driveaway in her heels and headed to the front of the house. It was 9 o'clock and there were a few lights on inside. Eun Hye took a deep breath and rang the doorbell. After a moment or two, she could hear footsteps creaking inside the house, then the front door slowly opened.