18

missed your kiss again

ELENA SIGHS, LOOKING OUT AT THE BLUR OF TREES THAT HADN'T SEEMED TO CHANGE FOR THE PAST FEW HOURS. Beside her, Damon mindlessly taps his fingers against the steering wheel, looking innocuous as ever, like he isn't driving her over state lines after saving her from a car accident that apparently wasn't an accident. Sighing again, she looks at him. "So, where's my car?"

"I pulled it off on the side of the road. I don't think anyone will bother it."

Elena bites the inside of her cheek at the nonchalance in his voice. "What about that man in the road? Was he a," Her voice trails off, the underlying question easily answered.

"From what I could tell, yeah," Damon nods, his piercing eyes scanning the road.

"You didn't know him?"

Damon scoffs. "If I've never met him, I wouldn't know him. I mean, it's not like we all hang out at the vamp bar and grill."

The tires of his car squeal on the asphalt as he parks alongside the curb outside of Bree's Bar, shifting his car into park in a swift movement.

Elena looks around confusedly, her eyes reading the sign-out front. "Where are we? You brought me to a bar?" She opens the passenger door, looking over the top of the car at the vampire. "Damon, I'm not old enough, they're not gonna let me in."

"Sure they will," He snaps his fingers at her, urging her to hurry up.

Biting a sigh, Elena slams the car door shut and carries after the vampire.

Damon walks into the bar, with a smirk, barely paying attention to the human trailing after him like a lost puppy. He smacks his hands together, his smirk widening to a grin when he meets the bartender's gaze.

"No. No, it can't be," The bartender grins wide, her eyes filled with disbelief. "Damon?"

She hoists herself onto the bar and swings her legs over, dropping to the ground before Damon with a grin to match his. She looks him up and down, not bothering to hide her leering. "My honey pie," With a small laugh she grabs his cheeks and kisses him, making Elena exclaim silently to herself, watching with morbid interest as Damon laughs and kisses her back just as eagerly.

──────

"Listen up everybody," Bree grabs the bottle of vodka, holding it in the air as she gathers everyone's attention. "Here's to the man who broke my heart, crushed my soul, destroyed my life, and ruined any and all chances of happiness! Drink up."

Damon takes Elena's shot from in front of her before she can reach for it and throws it back alongside his own, smirking smugly when she glares at the side of his face.