Chapter 6

Bel

"Do I have to wear this?"

"No."

"Thank God!" Bel tossed the formal suit out the window. Lei and Leo gawked at him until they burst into a fit of hysterical laughter.

"I'm not your fucking clown."

That just made them laugh harder.

The twins sat on his bed, nestled into each other. They had brought over a couple of Leo's best clothes for Bel to try on. Leo, in an attempt to be funny, had brought one of his concert tuxedos, penguin tail and all. That was the one Bel had flung out the window.

"That's it," he growled, pushing Leo's legs away from Lei, forcing himself between them. "I'm not going. Nope. I'm staying right here and eating dirt."

"Wow, he's eating dirt," said Lei.

"Not even canned food," continued Leo.

"Dirt," they said together.

"Quit that shit. It's creepy."

Lei giggled and nuzzled into Bel's side. "We have to take advantage of it while we still can. Leo's voice will soon change way too much."

"No it won't," Leo protested. "We're always going to be the same, Lei. Always."

Bel nodded emphatically. "Yeah! Always the same! He's willing to cut his dick off for you."

"Wait, what? I never said that!"

Leo shoved Bel, who in turn ended up squeezing Lei between the mattress and himself. They dangled dangerously off the bed. If Bel moved incorrectly, Lei would topple to the ground.

"Help!" she giggled. "I'm going to fall!"

"Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit."

Bel wrapped an arm around her, trying to leverage them both up without losing his balance. Lei squealed when they wobbled, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"If I go down, you're coming down with me!"

"I didn't sign up for this!"

"Friends that ride together, die together!"

"I don't think you're using that phrase right!"

Lei kept squealing and Bel kept struggling. Finally, he shot a dirty look at Leo and kicked his thigh.

"Help us, you prick."

Leo's stoic face erupted into a wide smile. He took Bel's hand in his, pulling him up. Lei giggled the whole way back up. "I saw my life flash before my eyes!"

"It was only a two foot drop."

"Onto the cold, hard floor. No thanks!"

Bel rolled his eyes. "Good thing Leo was here to save the day."

Between them, hidden from Lei's eyes, Leo gave Bel's hand a tight squeeze. Bel tried to wait him out. Tried to assure himself that Leo was only messing with him, but if Bel had not slipped his hand out of Leo's, he had no way of knowing how much longer he would have held it.

*

Bel followed the twins up a gleaming set of stairs to a large, wide front door. Lei had her arm threaded through his, her hand tucked inside his coat pocket. Bel had walked awkwardly with his hand dangling for a while until Lei took it and slipped it inside his pocket with hers. The chill in the air wasn't much, according to the twins, but to Bel's southern skin it felt like a thousand fine, icy needles bouncing off his skin. Lei huddled close for his sake.