chapter ten

"What do you mean you want to stop?" Lorcan nearly tripped over his feet in reaction at Kit's words

"I—Lorcan, the plan was actually a good one, but—I can't help but feel guilty that the only reason I'm doing this is that we planned it. It's not honest and Lysander is...he just doesn't deserve it to be done like this"

"But—He's been so happy, Kit" Lorcan droned to her, but immediately closed his eyes. For a few seconds he went silent, but then took a deep breath," Okay, I get it—I think I do, but what now? If you suddenly just stop, he'll—"

"He'll be mad or worse—" Kit mumbled as Lorcan nodded dropping his shoulders with a deep sigh.

"You were right, I suck at planning"

"Well, I can't deny it—but you only did it for him, you did this for Lysander" Kit smiled softly placing a hand on his head," I know it's not ideal to think about, but sometimes it's just how things are"

"Thanks, Kit"

"No problem, besides, I had fun. I got to see your brother fumble a lot, which is a nice thing to take in considering you are the clumsy one"

"Right, yeah do we need to speak about my history of embarrassment?"

"Aw, Lorcan, your little quirks are what makes Ophelia adore you"

"I—" Lorcan frowned scoffing at her words," Please do not join in the squadron of people that make it a daily reminder. Lysander and Alice do enough of it, thank you"

"It's hard not to do it when you make it so easy"

"Okay, going back to the topic—," Lorcan sighed craning his neck to the side to rub it, "The thing is—now what do we do? Do we tell Lysander the truth?"

"That we tricked him?"

Unfortunate to the pair—completely forgetting that they were not in their common room, had failed to notice Lysander heading their way.

However, he arrived at a time that didn't allow him to hear everything. So, he misunderstood the situation completely and left without hearing the full story.

"It's not tricking him, it's the fact that we just wanted him to know what makes him happy" Lorcan corrected her as she hummed and nodded her head.

"Okay, yes that is true" Kit nodded as she flinched at a phantom touch on her shoulder. Normally she would not turn, but the feeling was cold—but hauntingly familiar. As she turned for a split second, she saw her brother, but her eyes widened seeing the back of the retreating Lysander to focus on the glimpsed figure of Cato.

"Oh...oh Helga" Kit said in horror as Lorcan turned following her gaze.

"Oh...bloody hell" He mumbled also seeing his brother's back.

"He heard us," She said slowly

"Yeah, unfortunately, he definitely did"