5.

november 21st, 2016

   after the embarrassment that was friday night, i had been so worried to talk to kai. when i woke up the next morning of course the headache was killer, but i had noticed he had left an ibuprofen and water bottle on my bedside table before he left the night before. i spent that entire day thinking about him, how sweet he had been, everything. and of course i had texted him a little while after i woke up just like i said i would, apologizing for how embarrassing the situation had been. of course, him being the sweetheart he was just reassured me that it was perfectly fine.

   it was now monday afternoon, i was covering the extra work at the restaurant again because ally and ivy had been focusing on finding a babysitter, a real one rather than a friend who could just help, especially since they were thinking about having me work full time rather than temporarily, so i wouldn't be able to babysit oz as often.

  i kept sneaking onto my phone to text kai, having random little chats about silly little things throughout the day until it was time for me to leave the restaurant, ivy and ally were having a date night at the restaurant to hopefully help ally relax. it seemed as though everything was getting worse for her but ivy was working to hopefully help her calm down and get back to normal. the election had really knocked us all out of wack, but meeting kai had kept my world pretty peaceful to be honest. 

  as i was leaving from the restaurant, i greeted ally and ivy, giving them each a small hug and wishing them a good date night before walking to where my car was parked, making my way home. i was planning on just chilling for the rest of the night, curling up in bed with some order in food, talking with the newly found man in my life. casual monday things..

---------------------------

   i was sucked into watching gossip girl, wrapped up in my blankets and eating chinese takeout just like i had planned, until i heard police sirens rushing down my street, obviously alarming me. i was sure it wasn't anything terrible, but curiosity got the best of me as i dragged myself out of bed and to the window, noticing the cars pull into the changs driveway. normally for my own safety i would've just stayed inside but since they were my friends of course i needed to know what was happening. and on top of that, there was a tall, young adult lady standing with oz, police officers splitting up between those two and the house.

  i pulled some slides on before rushing outside, moving to oz and whoever the girl was, i'm assuming the babysitter ivy had been telling me about, two police officers approaching them as i did.

  "ma'am, ma'am this is a crime scene we need to ask them some questions."

  "this is my friends child, and that's my other friends house." i motioned to oz and then the changs house as i spoke.  "what's going on?"

before the police men could fill me in, the still unnamed girl began talking. "the changs.. they were killed. oz and i called the police."

my eyes widened as i looked to the house. of course i was never as close with the changs as i was ivy and ally but we were still friends and this was heartbreaking. and wait, killed?

"killed? like.. murdered?" i hushed the word knowing oz was there but oz nodded quickly.

  "yes! i saw it, winter saw it too and i-" he was cut off by his moms rushing towards us, getting the same 'this is a crime scene' spiel. of course they ignored it, their child was here.

  everything was explained to us calmly, and after everything had been talked about with the police, it had been deemed a murder suicide, oz was coined as imaginative, creative.

  of course i wanted to stick with the idea that they had done it themselves.. that this was just something tragic between the two of them. because otherwise we had to worry about a murderer. someone in our neighborhood killing people. and with everything else lately i just.. don't think i could handle that.

  after everything had been talked out and i made sure ivy, ally, and oz were all okay, i found myself in bed, tossing and turning. as much as i told myself to ignore it all, let it be what the police deemed it, something felt so off.. so wrong. i felt an aching feeling in my heart, sadness perhaps, from losing a friend. or it could be my anxiety flaring up again. but that wouldn't make sense, why would that-

  my thoughts that sped by 100 miles per hour were interrupted by the loud vibration from my phone, telling me someone had texted me. normally at this hour i wouldn't feel the need to check or reply, but something told me i should.

  when i picked the phone up and rolled onto my back, i saw kai's name sprawled across my screen, warm embers of admiration rising in my chest and my stressed look softening.

kai <3:
you awake?

me:
unfortunately
why, whats up?

when the typing icon came up less than thirty seconds later, my heart jumped, bottom lip clasped between my sharp teeth as i waited.

kai <3:
haven't really heard from you tonight is all..
everything alright?

he's worried, my first thought. i run a hand through my tussled, messy hair, turning onto my side as the bright phone screen glares at me and i start to type.

me:
everythings fine
well
not really actually
but nothing to worry about

the way i was sending string messages was a giveaway to anyone. whether i wanted to admit it or not, something was off.

kai <3:
do you wanna talk about it?

there wasn't much to talk about. two of my few friends in this neighborhood had died, and with everything else going on, i had this feeling.. that i couldn't really describe. dread, worry? god if i knew.

but even if there wasn't much, it felt like an opportunity to seize.

me:
i don't feel like typing.. wanna come over?

it was a long, dreadful minute of doubting my confidence before i got a simple, yes followed by be there soon, causing pinpricks of warmth to rise in my chest as i watched my phone silently for a second, not sure of what was to come of this.

i had gotten up to change into something a little more acceptable, because as much as i'm sure he wouldn't mind the tank top with shorts, it felt like we just weren't there yet.

after i had changed and ran a hairbrush through the mess i called my hair, anticipation filled the air in my room, the only light emitting from the small bedside table that held a lamp, a dim yellow shine coming from it.

i could've observed random parts of my room for days, but my thoughts were swiftly interrupted by the sound of four knocks against my front door, causing me to flinch before springing to my feet, padding across the wooden floor and out to the front door to greet him.

my slightly sweaty hand grasped the door knob before pulling it open, revealing the blue haired man. his hair was slicked back, damp as though he had just showered, and he was dressed casually like he had gotten out of bed to be here. legs clad in sweatpants with a dark grey t-shirt.

the sight itself brought a smile to my soft lips, a small "hi kai." finding its way off my tongue as i motioned for him to come in.

"hi delilah."

im so sorry for how long its been taking me to update my motivation has been trash lately !! much love