The Haunted House

"I-I think we should go back and check the-the tree house properly. Aisha would never dare g-g-go there," stammered Pooja, still shaken at what she saw.

"I too think it's a good idea, because, you see, it's no good going in this haunted house...maybe it was a warning by the ghost of the robbers' victim wandering there?" Kartike said, not very thrilled by the idea of going in after the scene that had just welcomed them.

"I think it was just an apparition—I mean, a hallucination. There's no such thing as ghosts, right?" Rohit said boldly, trying to hide his fear.

Avantika gulped, watering her dry throat and taking a deep breath to calm her racing heart. "Hallucination or not—we have to go there for Aisha. We-we can't leave her alone in a place like this!" She shuddered, and faced her friends. "So, if someone wants to come with me—you're welcome. And if not, then—then you can all go back to the tree house. Maybe she's not such a good person, but she is our friend, and it is our responsibility to ensure her safety. I'm-I'm going." Avantika was determined, though she was still building up enough courage to go in alone. As her friends stood silent, she turned toward the house and started taking slow steps to the entrance.

"But, Avi?" Pooja tried to persuade Avantika against her decision, but Rohit interrupted her, "You're right Avi... we can't sit here and await her return—we'll have to do something. I'm coming with you, Avantika." Avantika felt good that at least someone was there to support her. After all, she would not have to go by herself into that old mansion, ghosts or no ghosts!

"OK, then...so...I'll come with you guys, too." said Pooja, shivering a little.

"Hey! Don't leave me alone here, in this deserted place—wait for me, too!" Kartike shouted as they all made their way through the barred iron gate.

The gate was slightly ajar, another sign that Aisha had obviously come there earlier. The four moved silently and carefully through the overgrown, wild grass that reached up to their knees, and even to their chest, at some places. It was a slow progress, as they had to keep looking down for snakes and insects, too!

Finally, they reached the end of the shrubbery and were amazed to see how big the mansion really was. It was made up of four floors, and there were about eighteen windows on its front side alone! Although it must have been a beautiful, well-lit bungalow in its glorious days, now it was nothing more than a ruin, the plaster peeling out of its walls, the windows either shuttered, or shattered by the naughty village children.

The children first decided to explore the grounds. Outside the house, in a corner, was a shack which the four imagined to be the servants' quarters, but it was quite empty at the time. There was even a tiny yard, made entirely of tin or some similar metal, in which a few decaying shovels, rusting ploughs and other gardening tools were still left. Towards the other corner in front of the house stood a low circular structure with brick walls about a foot in height and lush green grass growing in the mud the structure enclosed.

The door of the bungalow was double the normal size in width as well as height, and there was a small porch too, but quite large compared to the porticos of their own homes in the city.

Suddenly, it began to drizzle. The foursome was so awestruck by the mansion that they did not even notice it until it started raining heavily. They rushed towards the porch, shielding themselves from the sudden rain by their hands.

Their hearts thumping loudly in their chests, the friends ascended the small flight of stairs leading to the porch, and Avantika pushed open the dusty old door.

They were all waiting for a swarm of vampire bats to come flying out—like it happens in the movies! —but fortunately nothing of the sort happened. Slowly, the door opened wider, and Pooja saw on the dusty floor, a trail of muddy footprints! She whispered to Avantika, "Look! These are obviously Aisha's! Let's follow them; it would be easier to track her down."

And the four friends set off, sure that they were on the right track...only, in the wrong place!