Couples and Torture

Aleks POV

James and I were leaving for school in the frosty morning and heard someone next to us. I peered over and spotted the new kid, Steven, locking up his own dingy motel room. Sighing and straightening his jacket, he started towards school with his black JanSport backpack slung loosely over one shoulder. I tugged on James' sleeve and pointed towards him while saying, "Shh."

James scrunched his brows together, as confused as I was about why he was in the motel room. Our questions were soon answered as Kevin came jogging over, face flushed and his suit crumpled. The usually sleek, formal attire now sloppily put together. They began talking and Kevin took Steven by the wrist and he writhed and wriggled around. I would've gone to help him if it wouldn't give away our hiding place and new home. James took my hand in his and pulled us into a bush as the fighting pair came closer. My mind went blank as his warmth radiated off of him unto me. My face went ablaze and I became way too conscious of my breathing and blinking. Swallowing without gulping became a challenge and I didn't know where to look; he had thrown me into his lap and I was curled into his chest in the underbrush. This is so embarrassing!

Being drawn out of my heart-throbbing trance I began to make out the conversation the bickering couple was having in front of us. "Please! I know you don't like what I do for a living, but give me a chance!" Kevin desperately called out. The scuffing sounds of sneakers could be heard along with grunts and Steven finally said, "Fine. I'll give you a chance if you promise to not kill those guys." The area went silent and the only sounds I heard was James' breath and my heart pounding in his arms. "Steven, I can't just take away Aleks' bounty, you know that," Kevin yelped, "I won't kill them and I'll make sure Jordan doesn't either, so please?"

A long sigh could be heard and then more sounds of shoes on pavement before Steven replied, "OK. I'll kick your ass if you hurt them, though!" I could hear the relieved laugh come from Kevin as the now-dating boys started going the opposite direction. After a long pause James helped me out of the bushes and we exchanged glances in stunned silence. Just the other day I was laughing at Kevin and thought he had no chance with Steven but suddenly, "They're together?" I finished my thought aloud. I looked up at the strikingly handsome and tan man beside me. He looked down equally confused, "Yeah?" He said. I grunted in response and after shaking my head a bit to clear my thoughts I dragged him with me to school. "Our asses just got saved by a kid who barely knows us." I said kicking a pebble. "I guess so," James let out his golden giggle, "he probably didn't want to date Kevin so he tried to get out of it by saying that." I laughed and was about to agree when we both realized we had nearly caught up with them.

Steven and Kevin's hands were locked together and they were blushing and smiling, Steven looking up at Kevin to see his face, happier than he was on the first day. "Or maybe not," I said. "Yeah," James said, "do you think we look that cute?" My eyes shot open and my face melted. I play punched James' arm and acted angry even though my stomach was churning and my heart wouldn't shut the fuck up. "Ow! C'mon you know you thought about it too," James whined. It's true, I did think that just now, but him saying it made it way more embarrassing. Flustered and ashamed for not owning up to it, I stared at the floor for the rest of the trek to school.

School life was boring but talking to Steven and Kevin was hilarious as they were now too easy to tease. Whenever I said something to make Steven light up like a candle, Kevin would console him and pull him to his chest saying sweet things. Kevin and Jordan had a talk off to the side of the lunch table and Steven pretended to be oblivious while James and I stared them down, looking for denial, for an odd reaction, and mainly, hoping for the best.

I was walking from fourth period back to our motel when I gasped in realization. I had accidentally gone towards my house and the sight was atrocious. Graffiti littered the walls, the lush trees in the yard were now chopped down and tee-peed to the high heavens. My windows were cracked and yellow stains from egg yolk was visible from the distance. What have my parents been doing? They would always have me clean this bullshit up. Because I am gone now they suddenly assume it'll disappear? They really don't appreciate me that much?! My fists trembled and I felt a migrane approaching. Rage was blinding me and I began striding quickly towards my old home, ready to chastise my family to no end; only to be pulled into an alley as I approached. "What!?" I yelped before getting pistol-whipped and knocked out. James wasn't with me and he has no clue I just got kidnapped.