Moonshine

November 18, 2020

Against my better judgement, we have gotten a dog

Against my better judgement, we have gotten a dog. We've named her Moonshine. She's still a puppy, but she's pretty sweet and chill. She is terrified of the kids and I get that. They are too high-strung and since we are doing distance learning, ALWAYS HOME.

Anyway, Moonshine barks at dogs and other animals, but with other people she's very excited and happy. She jumps to greet them and wags her tail and body uncontrollably. It's cute. But she doesn't bark at people unless they are new and sneak up on us when we are walking her. (Like joggers which for some reason I don't notice at first.) Or someome knocks at the door.

Yesterday my husband took off of work. We all went to the cemetery to visit his father (the one who Mey is named after) for his birthday. His father died on Christmas day 2012, the same day we found out I was pregnant with Mey.

After the visit, I went home to clean and my husband took the kids to his mom's house for a while.

While I was home alone, I swept and began mopping. If you have kids, you know that they WILL walk on your freshly mopped floor leaving footprints or half a half eaten peanut butter and jelly sandwich for NO APPARENT REASON on the floor.

So when I saw the footprints, I opened my mouth to shout at whoever it was that walked across my clean floors. Only...everyone was at my mother in law's house. There was no one in the house with me.

I thought "maybe they are my footprints and I just forgot." But I was wearing house slippers and the prints clearly had toes. And only toes, as if whoever was laking was tiptoeing over the floors. Also they were small. Not Mey's size, but smaller yet bigger than Kai's foot.

Like an idiot who didn't think ahead, I followed the footprints. They lead to Mey's room. Right outside of Mey's room was Moonshine...growling. This was odd. We've had her for only a month but still have only heard her growl once when one of the kids was trying to take her treat away.

This was an angry growl and her hackles were raised almost like a cat. She was ready to attack.

But she is also a puppy and still has puppy teeth so she can't do much. Mey's door was open so I looked into the room. The footprints go to the room but since I hadn't mopped Mey's room yet, there were no prints inside.

Holding my mop like a sword, I walk into the room and look around. There wasn't anyone hiding under the bed or inside the closet. I go back to the halway to examine the prints again only to find them gone. Not that the floor was dry, my prints were still there. But the smaller footprints I followed into Mey's room had vanished.

As I'm trying to figure out wtf is going on, Moonshine dashes down the hallway to the front door. I follow her and get to the door just as she starts barking.

I look through the peephole only to see no one there. I turn to Moonshine and just sigh. I don't bother telling my husband this experience because I know he won't believe me. I even went as far as to rewatch the camera footage to see if I could see anything. And of course, found nothing.

That night however, once all the kids were in bed and me and my husband were watching TV, we heard laughing coming from Mey's room. I tell my husband to go check and he gets up and finds Moonshine once again outside Mey's door growling.

I hear her growling and get up to check and I tell my husband she was doing that earlier. We look inside to find Mey asleep and the laughter has stopped.

I mention the footprints to him thinking he will brush them off and call me crazy but thats not what happens. Instead he tells me his own story.

The master bathroom has a glass door shower. He told me that sometimes, if he's alone taking a shower, little handprints appear on the glass and slowly disappear.

Hearing that chilled me but also helped me feel vindicated. I wasn't crazy because he was seeing something too.

He went on to tell me that his family (they are Chinese from Malaysia and Singapore) usually seek out mediums. He has aunts and uncles who visit them regularly in Malaysia. When his father died, his aunt was at a medium, communicating with her dead mother when the mother suddenly said "I can't talk anymore, I have to visit my youngest son." (my father in law) Then, she held up the number 4 with her hand.
In Chinese culture, the number 4 means death and they do not like that number.

My husband claims when they got home from the hospital on the day his father died, they had many missed calls from his aunt wanting to know if her brother was okay. He called her back telling her that he just passed away.

Now that he told me all this, maybe the "problem" we have with "things" is something deep rooted inside the family and won't go away until something is done on all ends.

I have never told them about what Mey sees or does or says, but maybe its about time to let them know.