3 // Secrets

Hailey ran into the bathroom, upset. Even though she still liked Jake, she knew he'd never like him back. She had told herself that she didn't care when he was so messy, always spilling something when eating at lunch. She had told herself that she didn't care about how his sweater smelt like a summer with no sweat. If she didn't care though, she wouldn't be crying. She heard steps walking towards her.

"Zander, no! I don't want to talk!" She yelled.

"Good thing I'm not Zander." The voice teased as she whipped her head backwards to see Jake. She blushed. She probably looked like a mess.

"Why are you crying?" Jake sat down next to her, despite the fact that it was the girl's bathroom.

Hailey flipped her hair with embarrassment. She wished she could just talk to him like she talked to others, and the way she did made it obvious she was into him. "I-I... m-my..."

"Are you okay?"

Suddenly Hailey burst out in tears and collapsed into his arms. "M-my brother! He doesn't like m-my crush!" She instantly wanted to reverse time, and take back what she said.

"Oh. Well, depends. Who is it." When she didn't respond, he pulled her in closer.

Hailey was finally going insane. Here she was, getting held by her crush, the one who called her princess and cinnamon. Maybe she could confess, knowing that he liked someone else, but just freeing herself from all this stress. She closed her eyes full of tears and imagined a fairytale kiss, one that she thought would never happen to her, and she never wanted it. She remembered the cafe. Him giving her his sweater. Slowly, but surely her hands crept up his face. She leaned in, his lips, pure and soft.

"Hailey, you're scaring me."

She clicked back to reality, and realized that she had left him confused. "I-It's a s-secret."

"Well then, in my opinion, it's not his business."

"What?" She sniffed and slid her nose against his sweater, forgetting that it was his. "Ugh, I forgot to give your sweater back."

Jake laughed softly, in fact he hadn't even barely made any harsh words, and his voice slowed into a whisper. It made her feel much more comfortable, like he was showing a side of him that she'd never seen, and so was she. "It's okay, I can always wash it."

"I- and it's just, my crush already likes someone, and I-I wish that my brother wouldn't just push me to get over it so quickly. I really like him. He makes me so happy."

"You don't have to get over crushes quickly."

Yes, but your not just some random crush to me. You're more than that. She thought.

"Let's go to the cafe again, okay?"

He grabbed her hand, and they walked back to the music room. She gazed at him softly, cherishing the moments together, knowing that it'd be nothing more than that.