Revisions, Rewriting, and Some Reminiscing

Greetings! Hi, yes, this book is finished and no this is not an update. I mean. It kind of is. But not, like, an update to the story. Just an update.

ANYWAY. Hi. It's me. The ever-elusive torturer of characters. Aaaaand I have some news! *drags a drum in and does a drum roll* This book is being rewritten.

I've had many many (many MANY many) people tell me it's really good how it is, but let's be honest, y'all, it needs some work. By some I mean a lot. My dear friend sarsar14 has shown me exactly how much you can improve and polish a story by rewriting (speaking of that, if you check out the links in her bio you can get her book in hardcover, paperback, or ebook, and she's got a blog and YouTube channel too.) I began this book shortly after I started writing in the first place, and I have trouble reading through it now without cringing because my writing has improved so much in the four-ish years since then. Some of you probably remember the very very first draft. The one I got halfway through and rewrote because I'd already gotten so much better in the time it took to write 38 chapters. Yeah. That one's probably never seeing the light of day again, sorry. I lost chapter 4 anyway. BUT. I am getting off topic.

The rewrite changes a lot of things in the plot and the world. When I say a lot, I mean Philip is now a main character and doesn't die in the first chapter, and Chad is fourteen instead of seventeen. I've also done a lot of fleshing-out for the world, magic systems, theology, characters, and other wonderful brainchild things. It's gonna be great, guys. So much more organized. So much more tragic. Your tears will be mine.

Anyway. The rewrite is changing some things for this book, too. For one, I'm either removing or editing all of the author's notes at the beginning of the book and at the end of each chapter in this version. My main purpose for this is a) they're REALLY cringey because...I was smol and awkward, and b) because I ask for constructive criticism in almost every one of them. While I greatly value the time new readers are taking to post feedback, I've done a really cruddy job of notifying them that I'm rewriting the whole book, thus making their feedback on my grammar and storytelling skills from four years ago largely irrelevant. I've even had a reader stop reading because they continued to give me criticism on further chapters even after I'd told them I was rewriting the whole thing. That was fun. Might've been my fault, might've been theirs, might've been both. To prevent any recurrences, though, the aforementioned editing/deletion of the author's notes should be sufficient.

To be completely honest, the only reason I'm not stripping the book off Wattpad entirely and starting fresh is both because of the comments (mostly the League of Crazy Spammers threads) and because I haven't yet finished the sequel. Speaking of which, that's gonna be rewritten too. The timeline is really screwed up. REALLY screwed up. Everything needs work. And it will be glorious.

Aaaaanyways. That's the scoop, folks. I know some of you are reading through right now, and you won't be hindered by any of this, but please know that a better version is coming at some point. Whether it'll be on Wattpad or not remains to be seen, especially since I plan to publish it at some point, but we shall see. In the meantime, enjoy this beautiful mess of a first draft.

With possibly unrealistic dreams and hope anyways,

Batman