One Night to Remember

The snapping sound gave away the presence of Amity as she walked through the forest. Creating a spell circle to cast an orb of light, the young witch checked the area for any potential hidden visitors that may have heard. Nothing. She let out a sigh of relief, and checked what little damage she had caused. It was nothing major, just a twig, now broken in half.

Letting the light go out, Amity continued on her way, carefully not to make the same mistake twice. While she was certain that she was alone, Amity didn’t want to take any chances. Out in the Boiling Isles, danger could come from anywhere. But, the only “danger” Amity was concerned about was an unsuspecting sibling out on the prowl.

Her face slightly reddened as she became bothered by the thought of her siblings finding her out here. They would certainly get a kick out of this, Amity thought. The voices of Emira and Edric Blight soon invaded her mind, as she imagined what they would say.

Would you look at that? Mittens is sneaking out into the woods.

Guess she’s not so little Ms. Perfect after all.

A shudder went through her. Too much time around the twin Blights had definitely made it harder to do anything risky without imagining their reactions. Though she wanted it to stop, her mind seemed to have other plans.

What were you even doing out there? Off to see someone?

Maybe your girlfriend?

Amity let out a yell and kicked a nearby pebble. The small rock bounced off, leaving her to stop in her tracks and try to calm down.

The twins won’t find out. They’re probably off on their own misadventures, Amity reasoned. Besides, Luz isn’t my girlfriend.

Isn’t my girlfriend.

The words echoed into her mind, leaving all thoughts and worries about her siblings to die out. Instead, these new thoughts infected her like a plague. Amity quickly took off, hoping to leave behind whatever was on her mind. I just wanted a bit of relaxation, she thought, was that too much to ask for?

Unfortunately, her brain didn’t provide an answer.

Pushing through the branches of a tree, Amity reignited her light spell. Taking a quick glance around, she let slip a curse. Where was that tree again? It was as if the whole layout of the land changed in the dark. Then, she saw it. The traces of moonlight that slipped through the cracks of the forest. A small smile appeared on her face.

Using the light as a guide for a smoother journey, Amity followed the moonlight until she found herself bursting through the brush into a clearing. Letting the light spell die again, her eyes were caught by a familiar tree dressed in pink. As if under a spotlight, the Grom Tree stood tall under the moon.

Amity made her way over. Memories of Grom night flooded her head as she got closer to the tree. A small pink leaf fell from the branches, dancing it’s way down to the ground. Watching it make it’s decent, Amity felt a small pang of pain, remembering her failure to confess.

It just wasn’t the right time, Amity assured herself but, that didn’t stop the feelings of regret. Now, instead of possibly seeing Amity in a new light, Luz just saw her as a friend. Amity let out a sigh, stepping closer to the tree.

Maybe it’s for the best right now.

Jumping up and taking hold of a branch, Amity began to pull herself up. One branch after another, her hands moved in sync. It was if the process triggered some muscle memory that had been in hibernation. It wouldn’t be too far of a stretch. After all, despite their behavior, Amity certainly held fond memories of tree climbing around the manor with Emira and Edric.