Chapter Fifteen

Virgil POV:

I laid on the unfamiliar cot, staring at the wall.

What am I doing here? I could just leave... I could run away and never look back. Then I could be safe, and so could my friends. 

But as selfish as it is... I want to see them again. I don't want to leave.

A knock on the door snapped me out of my inner dialogue.

"Who is it."

An abrasive, familiar voice answered.

"Umm... Satan!"

I groaned and flopped my arm across the bed.

"Go away, Remus."

I could picture his offended gasp in my mind without having to see it.

"You are incredibly rude."

I laughed.

"Says you."

I heard the zippers on his boots jingle as he entered the tiny room.

"Come on, Stormcloud! Don't you have time to catch up with an old friend?"

I sighed, then sat up, patting the spot next to me.

"I can't ignore you anymore, I guess."

He grinned.

"That's the spirit!"

Remus kicked off his boots, sitting down and leaning against the wall.

"So... what have I missed in Loserland since we last saw each other?"

I shrugged. 

"Nothing much. I've been on the run since I left the Roses. In and out quickly, that was the idea. But the reason I'm here right now... I want to stay here, in Duff."

I looked down awkwardly.

"I have friends who really care about me. Janus told me you guys can protect them if I promise to help you. Cause of the... y'know."

A smirk spread across his face.

"Bird bits?"

I sputtered.

"Oh my god, do not call them that!"

I missed this. I missed Remus. The crude humor, the laughter flooding every room we're in, the adventure that being with him promises...

Fuck.

****************

Roman POV:

When Marie brought me my breakfast the next morning, my eyes were still sore from the previous night's cryfest. She smiled guiltily at me as she set the tray down.

"Remus again?"

I feigned shock, clasping my hand to my chest.

"How did you know?"

Marie has worked at my parents' house for as long as I can remember. She was there when Remus was still around, and she was there to bring food into the fortress I had made of my room once he was gone. When my parents stopped paying any attention to me at all.

She wiped her hands on her apron awkwardly.

"If you need anything from us, anything at all... just tell us. We're here to help."

I smiled weakly.

"Thank you."

She shrugged.

"It is my job to take care of you."

I sighed.

"It shouldn't be. It should be my parents' job. They're my parents, for fuck's sake!"

Seeing the look on her face, I backtracked.

"I'm sorry, that was unfair of me. I shouldn't take out my stress on you."

She patted my shoulder.

"It's okay mijo. I understand. Now eat your breakfast, you need the energy!"

I nodded. 

Marie left the room, closing the door gently behind her.

Shit.

****************

A/N: Hey! Short chapter today as I've had writer's block for a while. Hopefully this can tide y'all over until I recover my lost brain cells. Stay safe, and have a great day/night! -BinChild