Chapter 2: Hogwarts Express

The Hogwarts train whistles up ahead as wizards and witches of all ages scurry past me, all hurrying to board the train last minute. I walk beside Draco, deeper into the crowd of people. As I pass a large family I hear cries and sobs erupting from a short blonde-haired girl while she clutches onto her mother.

"I'll miss you, mum, I'll write to you every day," the first-year girl sobs into her mother's muggle clothes. The mother then tries to shut up two snickering teenage boys as she pats her daughter's back. Most first-years appear to be miserable to leave their families. I can't blame them. In my first year, I had cried to stay home as well. Although not all first years are crying, some have wide grins on their faces, excited to start school at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Suddenly the crowd of people disperses, thus causing me to see that twenty feet in front of me stands Hermione, Ron, and Harry. I gasp and run at full speed towards Hermione, my rolling suitcase still in hand, clacking against the stone floor. At first, Hermione doesn't see me, she is stroking Crookshanks, her cat. Fortunately, before I slam into Hermione, Ron and Harry alert her. When she looks up to see me sprinting towards her, she grins wide and opens her arms for a hug. I try to slow my run into a jog but I must have been going too fast because instead of running into her arms, as intended, she tumbles over and I fall with her. She giggles and so do I, it feels good to see her again.

"I missed you loads," I say, lending her a hand, helping her to her feet.

"You as well! We all missed you. It's really too bad we couldn't see you." Mrs. Weasley had invited me to stay at the burrow with Hermione, Ron, and Harry, but Draco spent the summer at my house instead.

"I bet you had plenty of fun with Draco," Ron says teasingly, Hermione and Harry laugh at this. They hate Draco, but they love to tease me. My cheeks grow hot with embarrassment and I look down at my feet shyly.

"It's good to see you mate," Ron says, pulling me in for a quick hug.

"You too. And you, Harry," I say, giving a glance towards Harry. He replies with a brief hello. Harry is not very fond of me, mostly because I am a Slytherin and in his eyes, a Slytherin is always bad. He's not very open-minded now that I come to think about it. Just as the train whistles yet again to signify that it's leaving the station soon Draco taps me on the shoulder.

"We should get going, Natalia." He doesn't acknowledge Hermione, Ron, or Harry, which I guess is for the best. I can feel his hand on my back, steering me in the train's direction. Before boarding the train, I turn behind and call out to the trio.

"I'll see you guys later!" I shout. They all smile and wave, except for Harry. Instead, he stares blankly, then turns in the other direction to board the train on the opposite end that Draco and I have entered through. Hermione and Ron then notice he has gone off and run to catch up with him.

It takes a while for Draco and me to find empty seats. We walk through most of the train peering into every open private compartment, trying to find a place where we can be left alone. Finally, after several minutes of searching at the far end of the train, Draco beckons me into an empty room. We both set our owls in the chairs and send our luggage up to the luggage rack with a flick of our wands. I sigh with content and sit on the cushion to the right, Draco takes the seat next to me.

As the train gives its last and final squealing whistle the first years in the private compartment across from mine stick their heads out the window calling goodbye to their parents. Then in one swift motion, I see two tall people with short blazing red hair whiz by, most likely Fred and George Weasley. What they're up to, I don't want to know, something horrible I assume. I turn my head away from the yelling first years and look out at the slowly moving mountains in the distance, thinking about how amazing the upcoming school year is going to be. Sadly, this nice thought ends when Draco talks about the O.W.Ls.

"We're going to have to study a lot," Draco says, frowning at me. Can we just not talk about this? He knows it gets me stressed.

"Which means loads of study dates," I say, smiling. Anything to steer the conversation away from how stressful exams are going to be. He grins back at me and kisses me lightly on my lips, giving me butterflies and causing my heart to beat incredibly fast. He then stuffs the book he was reading in his bag, closes the door, and snuggles in close to me. This gets the butterflies inside to fly rapidly. I look out the window a second time as Draco nuzzles his head between my head and my shoulder while locking his hands around mine. For the next ten minutes, I stare out the window at the rivers and the mountains. Soon Draco's breathing slows and his grip on my hands loosens, he's even snoring a little. I look down at him, snuggled in so close, like a baby. The thought of someone coming in here and seeing him like this makes me chuckle a little. I stop myself quickly, trying to stay quiet and pray that that does not happen, I would not want to ruin this perfect moment. I smile to myself and then kiss the top of his head, his platinum blonde hair feels so soft under my lips. I give one look at the door to make sure it's locked and lean my head on his, falling into a deep sleep.

"You have failed the O.W.Ls! You will be nothing important!" Professor McGonagall screams at me, showing me the big fat T for trolls on my exam papers.

"No! No! This can not be happening!" I yell back. Suddenly someone or something is shaking me. I slowly open my eyes and realize that the horror of failing the O.W. Ls was only a nightmare.

"Come on Natalia, wake up we're here," Draco says all the while shaking me back and forth. I reach out to him and at once he picks me up from my seat. I stand up but fall back down because of the blurry spots covering my eyes. I rub them harshly before remembering I am wearing makeup. Thankfully, I steady myself and my vision reappears. Both mine and Draco's luggage had already been sent to our dorm rooms, our owls included, so I follow Draco through the crowded train hallway, pushing people slightly to keep up with him. Some people push back harder, I just ignore them and keep on walking. As I follow Draco through the train door, I can hear first year's oohing and ahhing.

"Look at the castle," one young-looking first year says pointing at Hogwarts in the distance. The seventh years will have fun with this little guy, he better watch his back.

"Just wait until they meet Peeves," I tell Draco, laughing. I remember my first time seeing the castle, up on the hill tall and sophisticated as if showcasing all its glory.

"Come on over here yeh firs years," Hagrid bellows. All the first years turn to stare at the overly large wizard, they suddenly look terrified. Although Hagrid is scary looking and towers over everyone, he's really just a big teddy bear. As the first years make their way into the wooden canoes, I hear them commenting on Hagrid's height.

"Did you see him?" One gasps.

"Oh, quiet down will yeh," says Hagrid, peering down at the group of first-year boys. This makes them even more terrified. Several first years are looking warily over the boat's sides into the dark water below. Thankfully, they have no idea what lurks in the depths of the lake. After they leave, teachers usher everyone else into the remaining carriages. Some people say horse-like creatures called Thestrals pull the carriages, but never in my four years at Hogwarts have I ever seen something of the sort. As I recall being told this, I see Harry and Luna Lovegood, who everyone calls Loony Lovegood, petting the air.

"What the bloody hell are you doing?" I ask. Harry looks at me with a blank face whereas Luna doesn't even look up. She gazes at the spot she's petting dreamily instead.

"Petting a Thestral. You can only see them if you've seen death, so I suppose I would consider myself lucky if I were you," Harry replies with a hint of annoyance. I just nod my head slowly with confusion and turn to walk the other way. Before I get very far Luna says something.

"They are beautiful creatures, Thestrals are," she says with a faraway voice. With this, I follow Draco into the nearest carriage, away from Harry and Loony Lovegood.