Chapter 1: White Roses

White roses mean reverence and humility, purity and innocence or sympathy for a bereavement.

"She carried flowers in her hair and magic secrets in her eyes."
                        ———
"You're nothing without me, Jin!" The sound of something being thrown across the room is heard.

"I don't need you James! You or your bullshit! Me and Nia will be just fine." more glass breaks and the yelling gets louder. "And my name isn't Jin you cheating piece of shit."

"Jhene, it was a mistake. What else do you want me to do? I've apologized a million times!"

The girl sits up in her bed and grabs her sketchbook and her bag. She picks up her wallet and ties her shoes before walking past her parents room. She opens the front door and walks down the long driveway.

It's not clear how long she walks but she somehow found herself standing in front of a bus stop.

——————————————————————

The girl blew into her hands as she stepped off of the bus. Public transportation was terrible. More so in Gotham than in other areas. She kicks a pebble absentmindedly while walking towards her destination. She stared at the glowing sign in silent admiration.

McDonald's. She straightened her hat and walked inside. The line wasn't too long she noted as she shuffled on her feet. Eyes. So many people. So many eyes. What are they thinking about me? Is my hair okay? Are they judging the way I have my hair?

Her brain went into overdrive as she anxiously tapped her hand against her thigh. Damn her anxiety. Damn this line. She cursed as she's tried to redirect her thoughts away from the people in the restaurant. Eventually she reached the counter, she bit the inside of her cheeks as she stared up at the menu.

"Can I have a 20 piece chicken nuggets with barbecue sauce and a large caramel frappe with extra caramel?" She told the cashier in a voice almost too quiet for her to hear. "And a medium Fry."

"Yes. Is that all?" The cashier said in a cheery voice.

"Yes that'll be all." She told her.

"$9.19 is your total." She told her.

The girl pulls out her card and swiped it, after hearing the little beep she placed it back into her wallet and put it in the pocket inside her jacket. The cashier hands her her receipt and takes the next order.

She stepped to the side as she waited for her food. She pushed a curl behind her ear and glanced around the lobby. She pulls out her phone and begins to order a ride home when someone bumps into her shoulder.

Her phone falls onto the floor. "Watch it dickhead." She looks up and sees 3 young men in front of her. Her eyes widen and she bends down to pick up her phone.

"Sorry. Is your phone okay?" One of them asked. He had dark hair and bright blue eyes. From what she could see he was very athletic. She realized she never answered his question and looks down at her phone. The top corner was cracked and chipping away.

That was not there previously. "It's just a small crack. It'll be fine." She tells him.

"I can pay for it. It's my fault after all." He stepped closer and she darted her eyes from side to side.

"Um... it's okay. I can have it fixed. It won't cost that much." She smiled slightly praying that her food would hurry up so she could leave.

"No it's fine. Timmy how much on average does it cost to fix IPhone screens?" He asked. They all watched as the shorter one of the group of three pulled out his phone and opened the calculator.

"Depending on of the phone has a warranty or not the average cost would be $239 with taxes in mind. With a warranty it would be around..."

"$197." She answered. They looked back at her.

"Exactly." Tim said with a small smile.

"Ooh another math geek? Just what Timmy ordered." She turned to face him and noticed that he had a white streak in his hair.

The one that was referred to as Dickhead took 3 hundred dollars out of his wallet and handed to her. In front of everyone. In Gotham city.

"Oh...Um...thanks." Her phone began to ring and she saw her mother's contact pop up and swiped red.

"Large frappe and chicken nuggets!" The cashier yelled. She walked to the counter and grabbed her food.

"Thanks again." She places the money in his coat pocket on his chest. "But it's fine. Accidents happen." She walks past them with her food in hand feeling the stares as she walks down the sidewalk.