when the light begins to fade

"Wow, Michael," Oceana turned to the male diver next to her, eyes wide in admiration. "I almost can't believe what I'm seeing!"

Below them, in a room submerged in water and speckled with pillars that stretched up from far below them, three white whales swam about peacefully. They were beautiful things, colored like pearls and singing amongst one another idly. Michael looked back at her and smiled.

"Neither can I," He said, breathless with excitement. "I never thought this could possibly be what was behind the Song of Dragons!"

"They're quite the interesting find," Hayako mused. She swam down to one of the whales, keeping her distance from it but scrutinizing it carefully. "They look very similar to humpback whales in terms of shape, but judging from their overall appearance it's likely they're an entirely different breed. It's amazing how such creatures can hide from the eyes of humanity for so long."

"Right? These are dope!" Even GG was as excited by this find as the rest of the group. "Man, I think I have a new favorite animal. We gotta take pictures!" He felt along the pockets and pouches in his BCD and dive bag. "Well, dammit. Do any of y'all got a camera? I think I left mine on the boat."

"Hey Michael, you carry one, right?" Hayako looked up at him. "You really should photograph this!"

Michael was one step ahead of them, excitedly feeling through the pockets of his BCD to find his camera. He never went diving without it. "Yeah, just a second! We gotta make this quick, though. I think my air is starting to run a teeny bit low."

"How low, exactly?" GG asked warily. The two ladies looked concerned as well, but Michael shrugged them off.

"Not so low that it's anything to worry about. I'll be fine even if we're down here another twenty minutes or so." He turned to Hayako and the others, "We should be able to leave freely from here, right?"

Everyone considered this for a moment.

"I think so," The scientist finally concluded. "Jean-Eric said this room is in the center of the ruins, right? If that's correct, then this room should be behind the mural we saw when we first entered this place. All we have to do is find the door that bridges the entry to this room, and we should get out of here."

"Well, that should be no problem," Oceana remarked. She looked over at Michael. "Let's just get some pictures of the whales before we go!"

Michael made a face, slipping his hand into a pocket and feeling around inside. "Oh, come on!"

"What is it?" Asked Hayako.

"My camera's not in here either!" The other diver complained. "It must've fallen out, then, because I know I brought it with me! Great. Wonderful. Amazing. I'd bought that one not even a month ago, too! Ugh!"

"Did you take it out at any point during the dive?" Hayako asked, and Michael thought about this for a moment.

"I did. There was a group of horseshoe crabs hanging out in front of some of the rooms and I took pictures of them. I haven't seen any of those since I was living in the States!" He paused. "It wasn't too long after that when I got swept up in that current. I must have dropped it sometime around there. Damn it!"

"Maybe we should go back together and get it," Oceana suggested. "You've got a lot of pictures on it, don't you? It would seriously be a bummer if you lost it all."

"Right?" Michael looked over to the other two members of the group. "Would you two be okay if we went back to look for it? I seriously don't want to just leave that thing behind."

"Hm...I don't know," Said the scientist. "There might be more to this temple that we haven't seen yet. Not to mention there's still those goblin sharks swimming around here somewhere."