Chapter 3

Chapter 3: Draco Malfoy

*Merielle's POV*

The next morning, I woke up and remembered where I was, beaming. Hermione was already awake. I quickly showered, brushed my teeth and dressed in my Gryffindor uniform, pinning my dark hair up in an elegant twist with wisps of hair framing my face. I looked at myself in the mirror. People thought I was pretty. I have to admit, I was. No, I'm not boasting. It's the simple truth but I always blushed when people said it. I had medium length, dark, glossy ringlets that tumbled down my back, with some waves falling down my front to frame my face. My eyes were dark like chocolate. Today, I applied lip gloss and some mascara.

"You ready, Merielle? You look wonderful," smiled Hermione.

"Oh, thanks. You do too. Let's go." We went down to the Great Hall for breakfast.

Harry and Ron were already there, with Ron busy stuffing his face.

"Good morning," I chirruped brightly. They both returned it. Hermione and I sat down opposite them as we tucked in.

"I wonder what Dumbledore wants to tell you," mused Harry aloud.

"Maybe he wants to expel Stargline already," sneered a voice. Draco stood behind me, Crabbe and Goyle flanking him.

"I mean, I'm not surprised if you don't want that to happen, Potter," he continued, "Aren't you jealous she's stealing your fame?" Harry leapt to his feet, glowering.

"Watch it, Malfoy. How dare you. Merielle is my friend and besides, I never wanted this fame and glory anyways. You've always been envious that you're not the centre of attention. " Malfoy simply laughed. I had had enough and stood up.

"Why can't you just leave us alone, Malfoy," I spat, "You think you're so clever but you're just a big bully who's all bark and no bite. You only feel safe with your minions. You're nothing but a revolting, miserable old loner, jealous that you don't have any real friends. I've literally only just met you but you make me SICK." I shook my head in disgust and flounced out of the Great Hall. I honestly despised him. Did he actually think he was that brilliant?

*Draco's POV*

I watched, stunned speechless, as she flounced out, her robes swishing behind her. That girl had some nerve. I would have to think of a good revenge plan. She was fiery, but there was a certain sort of fiery beauty about her. A beauty that made her shine. I shook my head to clear my thoughts. What was wrong with me?

"You think you're so good but that's only because Stargline is with you," I managed to hiss at Potter, before returning to the Slytherin table, Crabbe and Goyle tailing me. Yes, she was really quite pretty, I had to give her that. But she was a Stargline. I had to just forget her.

After breakfast, I had a free period so I decided to spend some time on my mission. It was dangerous and near damn impossible but I had to do it. I was chosen above all for this task. And if I failed, severe consequences would follow. He would go after my mother easily. My father was safe in Azkaban at the moment but I knew that he would still find a way to get to him. As much as I did not like Father, I couldn't let him be killed. And then of course my life would be taken too.

The wall that led to the Room of Requirements appeared before me. Concentrating hard, I saw that it had become a door, and entered. Hundreds of lost, hidden or forgotten items lay in here. I made a beeline for something shrouded by a dark fabric. Pulling it aside, I revealed a black cabinet. Taking out a green apple, I began my task.

I remembered after a while of hopeless attempts that I had Potions class next. Who knew the time? I covered the cabinet and hastily departed. There were students coming along so I knew that my first class was starting. I hurried along, cursing myself for not checking the time. I rushed down a flight of steps to the dungeons and turned a corner. Someone rammed into me and we both fell backwards, hitting the floor. I grunted and rubbed my dazed head.

"Watch where you're going," I snapped. The figure scrambled up and began to collect their books, which had been strewn across the floor.

"Sorry," they apologised, "I'm a bit lost. Do you know where the Potions class is?" I stared. It was a girl. And not just any girl, but Stargline. She looked up and recognised me. Her beautiful face instantly contorted.

"Oh it's you," she snarled.

"Yes, it's me," I answered coolly, "You're going the opposite way. Do you want me to show you? I'm heading there now." Malfoy, get your head straight! I scolded myself. Since when did I start helping people?

"I don't need your help. You just make trouble." Her eyes blazed and I sighed. I bent down and gathered her last books before handing them to her.

"Here." She looked at me warily as she took them, unsure how to react.

"Um, thanks, I suppose," she mumbled. I smirked.

"Now will you let me show you the way? You're going to get us both late." She stayed silent, but at least she didn't rebuke, so I started forwards confidently. I saw that she was right beside me.
We reached the dungeons and I opened the door.

"Sorry we're late, professor," Stargline told Professor Slughorn, "I got a bit lost and Malfoy led the way."

"No problem, Miss Stargline," he responded cheering, "You two can share this last empty table." She flushed as we both took a seat. I realised how close we were, even though she was keeping her distance. She obviously didn't like me.

As soon as the professor finished speaking, Stargline was out of her seat in a flash to the Potions cupboard to get the ingredients. I sighed again. This was going to be a long and difficult process. But at least I sat next to her. Maybe I could make her warm towards me eventually.

I was pretty pissed off when Potty got the Felix Felicis. I could've used that to help with my task. And how in Salazar's name had he managed to do it? He never was particularly good at Potions.