•*• Six •*•

Ahsvgvvbhjs I'm so sorry it's been more than a week since the last time I updated-

Recap:
How are they already practically asleep?? I shake my head. I take Mae from Roman, then also pick up Shae. I place them all into the cage, shutting the door on the cage. I put the bag of leafy greens into the fridge again. I turn back around, finding them both asleep. I’m too lazy to carry them both downstairs, so I sit back down on the bed. I lean against the headboard, realizing just how tired I am. I fall asleep almost as fast as the other two.

. . .

I wake up with a jolt. I blink away the nightmare. As I’m focusing on my surroundings, I feel something hard poking the middle of my back. I panic for a second. Is that a fuckin- Oh. I realize that it was Patton’s finger as they wrap their hand around my arm. They squeeze my arm in their sleep, and whimper. I poke Roman, who wakes up with a grumble. In the light of the moon, I point to Patton. He gasps and begins shaking Patton’s shoulder. Patt wakes up with a gasp, still gripping my arm. Tears begin leaking down their cheeks, and they bury their face in my neck, crying quietly. Roman picks them up, placing them in his lap. He strokes their hair, playing with the curls. I carefully remove their death grip from my arm. Instead, intertwining our fingers. I stroke their knuckle with my thumb, hoping it’s comforting. Their sobbing slows as they feel Roman’s strong arms around them. They grip my hand tightly, like a child holding their parent’s hand while getting a vaccine. 

“They’re not calming down.” Roman hisses. I beckon for him to hand Patton to me. He reluctantly does this, grabbing their hand. 

“Patton. Patton. Can you hear me?” I ask. They nod slowly. 

“V-Vee..?” 

“Yes, I’m here,” They grip my hoodie tighter, rubbing the material. “Patt,” I grab their attention. “I need you to name me five things you can see,” They try to speak, but nothing coherent makes it past their lips. They poke me, then Roman, then the pillow, their pants, then they point at the moon. “Good, now I need you to point at four things you can feel,” They poke my hoodie, then my shirt, then Roman’s arm, then the mattress. “Three things you can hear,” Once again, they poke me, then Roman’s chest, most likely indicating his breathing, then at the window. “The wind in the curtains?” They nod, sniffling. “Two things you can smell,” They ruffle Roman’s hair, then mine. I giggle. “Good, now one thing you can taste.” 

“My- My tears…” They whisper. 

“You did amazing, Patt. Are you comfortable sharing the problem or do you want to go back to sleep?” 

“Can you e-explain it?” I nod. 

I sigh, then nod. “It was about all their friends and family rejecting them and leaving them for various reasons.” I explain to Roman. He gasps. 

“Oh Patt… you know I’d never do that…” He opens his arms, offering a hug. Patton gladly accepts, leaping into his arms. They stifle another sob with their hand. Roman hugs them tighter, and they bury their face in his neck. I blow out a soft breath, processing what just happened. 

I realize something and my eyes widen. I told them. Fuck, I haven’t told anyone before! I question my motives internally. I flinch as Patton takes my hand in theirs, pulling me out of my thoughts. I meet their gaze and they smile, chasing away any other thoughts of mine. Roman takes my other hand, and this is when I realize I’m shaking. Roman scoots behind me and starts carding his fingers through my hair. I close my eyes, leaning backwards into the touch. Patton and Roman begin taking turns telling some wild story, but my brain melted a long time ago, when I first felt Roman’s hands in my hair. I don’t know what happens next, but I slip into a comfortable sleep for the first time in years.

_____
690 words

Sorry about the short chapter, it's kinda just a filler-
More happens next, I promise-

~Midnight