Chapter 19 - On The Run

Somehow, I'd managed to stagger up to my hotel room without Adrian being hot on my trail.

When I flopped down onto the bed I was a mess and decided then and there that tomorrow I would find somewhere else to live - regardless of the job I'd just been given.

To put it simply, I refused to think about what had happened with Adrian in the park - the kiss still burned at the back of my mind and nothing I did would make it go away. I also refused to think about what could happen if I stayed here.

My head pounded and I clutched it tightly.

Avoiding Adrian was impossible seeing as he knew I was lurking somewhere within the city, and I was running out of clever ideas on how to keep him at bay.

Suddenly, an image of my older cousin Lily, came into mind and I just knew what I had to do.

Shakily, I picked up my phone and dialed her number.

It rung twice. 'Hello?'

I breathed a sigh of relief. 'Lily, it's me. I need your help.'

There was shuffling on the other end followed by the sound of muffled voices. 'What's wrong?' Knowing her, she'd want to know everything.

I quickly explained.

When I'd finished she swore softly. 'Oh, god Indigo. What a mess.'

I rubbed a hand raggedly over my face. 'I know. I just-- I need your help getting away from here, I don't know what else to do.'

She kept silent for a moment. 'Are you sure this is what you want?'

I could hear her hesitation.

I quickly spoke up. 'Yes.'

My heart gave another painful thump as a reminder of the earlier encounter I'd had with Adrian. 'Please... just come and get me.' I said.

I refused to go home where Adrian could so easily find me. Not that for him to do so would be an easy task with Roland at hand, but it was still possible.

She heavily exhaled. 'Where are you?'

Hurriedly, I told her the name of the hotel I was staying in and gave her rough directions towards the city.

She shuffled around some more and it sounded like she was picking up some keys. 'Stay where you are,' she told me. 'And pack everything you've got with you. I'm coming to get you - I'll be there in a few hours.'

Looking at my phone, I realised that it was nearing nine o'clock in the evening. 'Thank you.'

We disconnected.

Wasting no time, I pulled out my suitcase and repacked everything that had been taken out thus far. After an hour of repacking, I consumed another bag of blood and sat on the bed gazing at the wall ahead.

At 11:20, I got up and began to pace the room and look out of the window, feeling restless.

The sound of cars driving outside was almost soothing; the headlights reflected on the wall created shadows as they passed.

Peering down at the roads, I looked beyond them towards a grassy area which was concealed by a heavy tree-line and made sure that there was no one stood watching the hotel.

No one was.

I pulled back the curtain and paced the room again until a text appeared on my screen.

I'll be about twenty minutes, it read. It was from Lily.

To pass the time I decided to take a shower to relax myself and bathed under the fresh warm water, repeatedly lathering myself with the complimentary soap.