𝐓𝐰𝐨

SCARLETT WATCHED CALEB and the rest of his band set up for their show which would start in approximately ten minutes. She didn't have the chance to answer because the rest of his friends came over, telling him it was time. She felt relieved. Relieved because as much as she knew that she didn't have to tell him anything, she knew she would because, for some reason unknown to her, she felt comfortable with him.

The question he'd asked had come as a surprise and it made Scarlett recall one of her worst memories.

Gina was having another one of her heartbreak episodes as she realized her boyfriend, John, had left her home with all his belongings in tow.

The room they shared was disorganized and looked like a tornado had passed through it. John was in a rush.

"Scarlett!" The woman yelled as she reached for her favorite bottle of bourbon. "Get down here right now!"

Scarlett had been home for the last hour or so since her school ended around two in the afternoon. She was already aware of what was happening.

"Yeah, mom?"

"John left baby." Tears began to stream from the woman's face. "He left me and he's never coming back." Sixteen-year-old Scarlett immediately got on the couch with her mom and wrapped her arms around her.

"I'm sorry mom." What else could she say?

Scarlett felt as though in the last six years, she had used up every half-hearted apology and sympathetic response that she had in her.She had run out of things to tell her mother. "I'm so sorry." Was followed by violent sobs and chugs of bourbon. Gina was dealing with her pain the only way she could.

Gina needed help with her consumption. Her daughter had tried multiple times to get her off of it and it had worked fine when she was happy.

She'd replace the bourbon with juice and it wouldn't be a hassle because she had a distraction. Love was her distraction.

But every time it would end, she was right back to staring at the bottom of a bottle. Scarlett was sad to say, but she had given up. She couldn't help her mom if she didn't want to be helped and she wasn't old enough to force her into rehab.

"Why do they always leave me, baby?" Her words were punctuated by the salty tears coating her cheeks.

"Good evening people of Rick's Bar! How are y'all doin' tonight?" The guy standing behind the main microphone said with a big smile, his guitar hanging from his shoulder. Cheers and claps were heard from the surprisingly large crowd. It was around 10:30 p.m."We are Four Roses!"

Another slew of cheers and screams erupted from the crowd which surprisingly made Scarlett smile. It was clear they were well loved so she was ready to see if they were any good. As she scanned her eyes over the boys, she was met with Caleb looking straight at her.

He looked good up there. In his element and when he smirked and winked at her, she couldn't help but blush.

This should be good.

They went on to play five of their most popular songs which everyone ate up. Scarlett was happy to say that they were amazing. Their sound was unique and Nate, who was the lead singer, had a great voice. But what she didn't expect, was for Caleb to sing.

"What's up guys," he smiles as his lips grace the microphone "as you know, I'm Caleb." The crowd, especially the girls, cheered passionately. "I'm going to end our set tonight with a cover of one of my favorite songs."

The sound of prerecorded piano keys begin to play and when the saxophone started to sound, Scarlett knew what song he was about to sing. It was a song she listened to regularly and loved a lot. In terms of bands, The 1975 was her favorite.