Chapter Seventeen (Violet's POV)

I looked up and saw Duncan coming to where I was sitting. When he got to where I was, he sat down next to me. He looked kind of nervous, and he seemed like he was trying to make it to where I couldn't tell he was. I acted like I couldn't tell. "Hi," Duncan said hesitantly. "Hi," I responded. "Have you found the book you were looking for?" I asked. "I didn't know what book I wanted. I was just looking around to find something to read, but I haven't found something to read yet, though," he answered. "Oh," I said. Duncan nodded a little and looked at me. "I saw you and decided to come over to you and talk to you," Duncan almost whispered. "Oh, ok. You don't have to be worried about anything if you are," I said, trying to help him feel better. I hoped he couldn't tell I knew he was nervous because I didn't want to accidentally make him more nervous. "Ok," Duncan answered, looking a little more confident. "I wanted to tell you I like you," Duncan quickly said. "Oh," I said slowly. I didn't know how to respond. I didn't like him like that, and I knew he would be upset if I rejected him. "I know this might make you upset, but I don't like you like that. You're a good friend, though," I said slowly, trying to say it in a way where Duncan wouldn't be as upset. "Oh," he whispered. "That's ok, it's no big deal," Duncan continued. "Really?" I asked, shocked that he wasn't that upset by it. "Yeah, I don't mind. It was just a crush," Duncan answered. "Ok," I said and smiled a little, glad that he wasn't as upset as I thought he would be. "I'll get back to looking for something to read," Duncan said. "Ok," I answered. After a while, I checked out some books for Klaus, Sunny, and I and went home.