𝑩𝒓𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝑬𝒚𝒆𝒔

Nearly ten years had passed since the Dursleys had woken up to find their niece and nephew on the front step, but Privet Drive had hardly changed at all. The sun rose on the same tidy front gardens and lit up the brass number four on the Dursleys' front door; it crept into their living room, which was almost exactly the same as it had been on the night when Mr. Dursley had seen that fateful news report about the owls. Only the photographs on the mantelpiece really showed how much time had passed. Ten years ago, there had been lots of pictures of what looked like a large pink beach ball wearing different-colored bonnets -- but Dudley Dursley was no longer a baby, and now the photographs showed a large blond boy riding his first bicycle, on a carousel at the fair, playing a computer game with his father, being hugged and kissed by his mother. The room held no sign at all that another two children lived in the house, too.

But Harry and Evelynn Potter indeed lived here. Harry and Eve were currently sleeping, although not for long, as their Aunt Petunia was about to use her shrill voice to wake them up.

"Up! Get up now!" She screeched, banging on the cupboard door, and both Harry and Evelynn woke instantly. Eve rubbed her temple as she had a minor headache. They always seemed to appear after certain dreams, like this one. She dimly remembered a flying motorcycle and a flash of green light, but it was all melding together and fading fast.

"Up!" Petunia said again, before moving away from their cupboard. Evelynn could hear her go into the kitchen and put a frying pan on the stove. She turned to her brother Harry, and sighed. His hair was mess and although she didn't particularly care what people looked like, it still bugged her.

"Are you two up yet?" Petunia said, Evelynn jumping slightly as she didn't hear her aunts approach.

"Nearly!" They called out at the same time. Harry and Eve liked talking at the same time. Partly, because it just felt normal and cosy, because they were there for each other, but partly because it annoyed the heck out of the Dursleys, and the Potters liked to take small victories wherever they could.

"Well, get a move on, I want you two to look after the bacon. And don't you dare let it burn, I want everything perfect on Duddy's birthday." Harry groaned before Evelynn could stop him.

Harry!

Sorry Eve

You should know better

Sure enough Petunia heard and snapped at them.

"What did you say?" 

"Nothing, nothing..." Eve held her breath, hoping against hope her aunt would let it slide, and finally she walked away. Eve sighed, and glared at her brother, who smiled a bit. Eve could never stay mad at him though, so she focused on some rather startling information.

It was Dudley's birthday. Of course it was. Evelynn already knew this day would end in disaster. It always did. Last year when they were sent to Ms. Figgs house across the street she nearly tripped over one of her cats and broke her arm, and the year before that she really did. It was the worst, having a broken arm, and of course the Dursleys didn't pay for a cast. She was surprising lucky with how fast it healed and the fact that it set right.

Once Harry had gotten on his socks they opened the door and made their way into the kitchen. The table was almost hidden beneath all Dudley's birthday presents. It looked as though Dudley had gotten the new computer he wanted, not to mention the second television and the racing bike. Exactly why Dudley wanted a racing bike was a mystery to Harry and her, as Dudley was very fat and hated exercise -- unless of course it involved punching somebody. Dudley's favorite punching bag was Harry, but he couldn't often catch him. Harry didn't look it, but he was very fast. Eve, being a girl, was less often targeted for punching practice, and a good thing too. Unlike her brother, Evelynn had terrible coordination and couldn't run to save her life. 

This was especially odd because Harry was the one with glasses, yet she had bad spatial   awareness. Although she could be very quiet when she tried.

Perhaps it had something to do growing up in a dark cupboard, but both of the twins had always been small and skinny, Eve more so. She didn't seem to ever gain any weight or grow, even after that one time when she raided the fridge back when they were 6. Harry and her had been in trouble, and Eve learned how to pick the lock from the inside. After stealing a ton of food, Harry and her gorged themselves for days. Of course they were starved after that, so they lost any weight they miraculously had gained (none in Evelynn's case).

They both looked even tinier due to the fact they were forced to wear Dudley's old clothes, especially in Evelynn's case. She was dwarfed by the baggy pants and shirts, and she had to find old rubber bands and other things to tie to her shirts and pants to keep them up.

Harry wore glasses patched with scotch tape because of all the times Dudley had hit him. Eve, however, on the rare occasion the pig in question would decided to hit her, would just break her nose. That lead to a slightly crooked one.

Harry had black hair, a darker completion, knobbly knees, and bright green eyes, like Evelynn. Eve, on the other hand, had fiery red hair, green eyes, and freckles on her pale face. The best thing about their appearances (in their opinion) were the thin scars shaped like lightning bolts. Harry had one on his right while Eve had one on her left, completely identical. They had always had them, ever since they could remember. It was also the first question either of them had asked their Aunt.

"In the car crash when your parents died," she had said. "And don't ask questions." Don't ask questions -- that was the first rule for a quiet life with the Dursleys. This was the part of her life that Eve had always hated. She thirsted for knowledge. Hungered for it even. Without a library card or permission slips, all her information was gathered on every other Wednesday at 1, when her class was allowed to go to the library. She loved reading, and not being able to ask questions made life with the Dursleys so much harder.

Evelynn didn't like people in general, which probably came from never having any friends. Between Dudley making sure they were miserable, and the odd aura that seemed to hang around the young girl, she'd never been good at making them. So Evelynn had her books (on Wednesdays) and Harry. And her drawing pad.