Whatever It Takes

DRACO POV

Almost three weeks had passed since we arrived at Shell Cottage. I liked it here. There were so many of us and it was rather crowded, but it felt like home. Harry, Ron, Dean, and I slept in the parlor, on the floor and on the sofas. Liana and Hermione were upstairs with Luna. The goblin and Mr. Ollivander were in the other spare room.

            Mr. Ollivander was able to make new wands for everyone; most of his strength had come back and he was beginning to gain some weight. My new mahogany wand was ten and a half inches long, its core made from hippogriff heartstring. I liked it, but it felt different in my hand. It couldn’t replace my old wand. I wondered what had happened to it. Perhaps Pansy was using it. The thought disgusted me, her sweaty hands gripping the wand that had belonged to me for the past seventeen years.

            I hated Pansy Parkinson, with every bit of hate that remained in my body. I hated her for what she’d done to Liana. I hated her because she was a Death Eater. I looked down at my own Mark. I hated myself too. I hadn’t necessarily agreed to become a Death Eater. It was . . . expected of me. It was also a punishment for my father’s past failures. It was never supposed to happen. When I was a second year at Hogwarts, I probably would’ve thought it was great. Now that I realized that it’s a nightmare.

            My life had been just fine until I became a Death Eater over the summer. If I, somehow, could have avoided it, I would have. Then again, I wouldn’t be the person I was today. I might not have even fallen in love with Liana. Hell, I might not have met her to begin with. I rarely associated with people from other Houses, unless my fellow Slytherins and I were picking on the Gryffindors.

            I’d completely changed since I met Liana. I’d become much kinder. Sure, I had the potential to be just as cold as I used to be, but I didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings intentionally. It just wasn’t in me anymore. I didn’t even care about blood purity. At this point, I was in love with a half-blood and friends with a “blood traitor” and a “Mudblood.” I was even friends with Harry Potter! I never would’ve thought that it’s all come down to this about two years ago, but it had.

            Suddenly, and owl rapped at the bathroom window after I’d taken a shower. I opened the window and took the letter from its beak. The owl took off before I even opened it:

Meet me at Spinner’s End. I’ll be waiting.

Severus

            Why would Snape want to see me? Was it some sort of set up? No. Snape would never put me in danger intentionally. He respected my family. He liked me. He always had.

            I decided to go. It couldn’t hurt. It must be important if he’d sent me an owl. I couldn’t tell anyone where I was really going. Harry would be pissed, possibly beyond measure. No one needed to know, especially not Bill or Fleur.

            I quickly got dressed, pulling on a sweater and some clean slacks. It was mid day, the sun shining high in the blue sky. It was a beautiful day, warm too. I walked down the staircase, hearing a commotion in the kitchen. I took a peek inside; everyone was starting to set up to have lunch.