XLV • THERE IN THE DISAPPEARING LIGHT

forty-five | là dans la lumière qui disparaît

Abandoned MSP Plant

Victoria and Marcel are standing by the latter's parked large black SUV somewhere in the main property of the large MSP plant in which the nightwalkers, led by Emmett, must be hiding out as they wait for a moment. Josh should be here with them, though he remains at work in Rousseau's.

"Can't he just compel someone to take his place?" Victoria mentioned about the vampire proprietor of the local Rousseau's in order to join them.

"I don't think so." Marcel takes out his phone and calls someone, which leads straight to voice mail, "Josh, I'm at the abandoned MSP plant with Victoria. Emmett's up to something, and we're not just going to sit around and let him get the drop on us. We may need backup, so when you get this, call me back, or call Victoria. Whoever suits you." He hangs up the mail.

"Okay, let's do this." Victoria leads the way for him toward the large derelict building and opens the heavy metal main sliding door to the right before she walks in first, trailed after closely by the young vampire behind her.

They begin to walk inside the seemingly unoccupied and empty room in silence until a young male nightwalker jumps down from the ceiling behind him and starts to fight Marcel just as another young male nightwalker jumps down from behind them once more, after they turn around to fight the first one, to which leaves Victoria to fight with the second one when they're both surrounded with even more of them until they're outnumbered in the fight.

After Marcel beats some of them up with a pipe, both he and Victoria are magically incapacitated by a powerful spell, which make them drop down on their knees as a young male African-American witch shows up to them.

Emmett walks up from behind him, "The great Victoria Labonair and Marcel Gerard. We've been waiting for you." He watches in satisfaction as his own witch simply breaks the pair's neck with a clench of his own two hands.

❋❋❋

Lafayette Cemetery

Peter, who has risen from the dead after he was poisoned the previous night with the wine he drank, now with vampire blood in his system, is seated in the shadow of a large tomb near the altar with Monique by his side while the rest of the poisoned witches are everywhere else around them, not too far. Ivy, along with her mother and her siblings, is among them, in transition as well, while Elijah and Vincent are speaking to each other near the couple.

Peter, whose eyes are squinting, groans in agony, "The sun hurts my eyes." Which he's entirely aware that it's common with vampires in transition.

Monique nods in understanding, "That's normal. You're just in transition. Until you have a sip of human blood, it'll feel euphoric. I promise."

Vincent speaks, "It's too late for Hope. It's too late. Eventually, the darkness is going to overtake her, and the kid you know is going to be no more."

He earns a look from Monique, "Well, there has to be a way to save her."

"I don't accept that." Elijah added on in defense of his own precious niece.

"You know, she barely survived this when she was eight. Now she's a budding adult, and she's one human kill away from triggering her werewolf side. Now, you think she's angry right now, you wait until those claws come out and the eyes turn yellow." Vincent reminded them on the werewolf side.