chapter twenty

( TWENTY )

***

The feeling of despair and fear lingered in the air as Bobby lead the three newcomers through the camp, fire torches lighting up the forest. Small wooden cabins were dotted around the area with people wondering through them, all covered in dirt and dust. Some had casts and bandages on their arms while others had crutches for their legs. It seemed like the type of place where laughter hadn't been heard in a long while.

"Well, welcome to home sweet home." Bobby sighed as he stopped before them. As Jack, Lexi and Mary glanced around the dimly lit camp, the depressive atmosphere seemed to rub off on them.

"What happened to them?" Jack inquired about the people on crutches across the clearing.

All eyes diverted over to where Jack nodded to. "Angels happened." Bobby stated.

"Angels did this?" Jack tilted his head in curiosity.

"They've done worse." Bobby shrugged, "Two days ago, angels bombed a colony in San Antonio. Four-hundred people, not a soul left alive."

Lexi shook her head as she glanced around at the injured people, "Sounds like your typical dick faced angels." She sighed, her sympathetic eyes looking back at Bobby.

"This isn't a war," He said, "This is an extermination."

The negative atmosphere caused eyebrows to furrow on the two hunters and the nephilim. They wanted nothing more than to save the people in the camp, even if they had very little power to do so.

"Bobby." Mary sighed, "Michael, he'll be looking for us." She warned the older man.

Bobby nodded with understanding, "Don't worry, we've got protocols protecting us. Wardings, look outs in the trees, and a few other tricks up our sleeves. Besides, Mary Campbell saved my ass more than a few times." His lips curled up ever so slightly into a smirk, "It'll be rude not to return the favour."

***

The longer Lexi spent in the camp, the more the the depressing feeling rubbed off on her. You'd expect someone with her lifestyle to be numb to the grief and pain but she couldn't help feeling bad for the survivors. The sight of people with dried blood on their skin, clear injuries on their bodies and dirt covering every inch of them caused the Winchester to want nothing more than to help them. But what Lexi didn't consider was how similar she was to the survivors. She looked just like them with bruises on her cheek, a busted lip and dirt all over her, she blended in perfectly. Not only did her appearance match theirs, but she had also felt as lost as they did. She was far from her family with no idea if they were alive or not. And truthfully, Lexi was terrified.