emocleW ot kciwneR

"𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐫𝐮𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝" 𝐓𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐅𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬

ᴡᴇʟᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟɪꜰᴇ
ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ'ꜱ ɴᴏ ᴛᴜʀɴɪɴɢ ʙᴀᴄᴋ
ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴡʜɪʟᴇ ᴡᴇ ꜱʟᴇᴇᴘ
ᴡᴇ ᴡɪʟʟ ꜰɪɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜ

ᴡᴇʟᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟɪꜰᴇᴛʜᴇʀᴇ'ꜱ ɴᴏ ᴛᴜʀɴɪɴɢ ʙᴀᴄᴋᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴡʜɪʟᴇ ᴡᴇ ꜱʟᴇᴇᴘᴡᴇ ᴡɪʟʟ ꜰɪɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜ

ᴹᵃʸ ¹²ᵗʰ? ¹⁹⁸⁷

ꜱʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱɴ'ᴛ ꜰᴇʟᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴀᴍᴇ ɪɴ ʏᴇᴀʀꜱ, ʀɪɢʜᴛ?

Years, since leaving Sham.

It was as if she woke up one morning and was somewhere else, someone else.

Daisy didn't feel like Daisy anymore, and the only thing she could tie it back to was Sham.

Sham Sham Sham Sham Sham.

She watches, watches the ringlets of smoke flutter past the chapped lips of Johnny Clark. The cloud of grey creates a haze that makes her eyes water, her pores clog, and her throat burn; but if it made him happy, who was she to stop him?

"Five songs we listened to yesterday." Johnny lets the ash flake off in little scattered bits across the sticky wood table, perfectly missing the tray as the cigarette bobs between his lips with each spoken word.

Daisy takes no time to respond.

"A Strange Day, A Short Term Effect, Johnny Come Home, Where Did Our Love Go, and, um, the one about.. about a girl named Josie who's on vacation."

Johnny smiles. Not the kind of smile you could ever deem innocent or humble or snarky or suggesting. Johnny's smiles were simple and brief, there and then gone, like fizz spilling out of a shaken soda bottle; seemingly chaotic and then forgotten about. But Daisy loved his smile.

"The date."

His trivial questions were more commands than anything. Daisy suspected that Johnny grew tired of asking, the same way she grew tired of answering. But she knew he had to, so she didn't put on a face of annoyance.

"May 11th, it's Thursday."

He shakes his head once and she knows she is wrong.

"You got Thursday right, but it's the 12th. Not the 11th."

Daisy lays her head back until her neck aches, until she feels the front two legs of the bar stool lift and she has to slam her palms down onto the counter to catch herself. Johnny laughs.