17. Only You

I didn't go home. I didn't even exit the school gates, I went to the sports fields, to the alcove. I didn't do much, just sat with my knees bent to my chest and cried. I stayed there staring at the grass with salt water stinging my eyes for around an hour, I didn't actually know how long, but it seemed long. I heard footsteps and looked up, a silhouette was walking to the alcove. Once he entered I saw that it was Louis, he halted when he saw me.

"Louis?"

"Ava?"

"What are you doing here?" We both asked each other. I was about to reply when he came closer to me.

"Have you been crying? Oh my god, did you get hurt?"

"No, no. I'm fine." He sat right next to me and wiped my tears with his hands,

"So, will you tell me why you're crying?"

"Only if you tell me why you are here."

"I needed to leave, that place, I only went there to-"

"Slow dance with Carly I know." Louis stares at me deeply, his eyes are so warm I didn't mind staring back. Suddenly he was laughing.

"Do you know what annoys me so much, Ava? You thought I was a hypocrite, thinking you and Matt couldn't just be friends and yet you make the same assumptions about me." I shook my head,

"It had to be Carly, who else would you want to slow dance with? Unless your interested in yet another pers-"

"You! My god I thought it was so obvious Ava! What did you think I would just stop loving you just because you said you didn't like me back?" He stopped there and I was speechless. I love Louis was the first thing my mind said to me. I was immediately filled with relief. Maybe all this time I was just scared that Louis didn't love me back?

"Did you just say love?"

"Yes, Ava Alexia Greenway. You see, from the moment I found out your favourite song was It's My Life I was in love with you. It's only ever been you, it was never Carly or Amanda or whoever else you saw me with. It was always you, only you."

"Only you." I repeated. "Then why did you ignore me?"

"You rejected me, I had to push you away, to act like I didn't care when in reality, I just wanted to sit next to you and listen to one of your rants about your favourite song lyric." I was sobbing now. "Shit, Ava. I'm sorry I shouldn't have put this all on you. I know your still tipsy too. Should I drive you home?" He stood up but I took his hand and pulled him down. I placed my hands on his cheeks and moved closer. I leaned my head in until our lips met ever so gently and then I collapsed onto his chest, half crying half hugging him. He protectively wrapped his arms around me.

"Ava? Why are you still crying?" I got up.

"Because I hate what I did to you, just because of my stupid fear of permanence I hate that I pushed you away. What if tomorrow I return into my fears? What if I forget everything and when you explain it all I'll push you away again?"

"I won't let that happen, you won't let that happen either. Now, please confess your love for me, I'm dying here." I laugh and kiss him again.