chapter six

P A R T T W O
The Queen without an Heir
In years of marriage Queen Isabella and King Henry VIII had three daughters Joanna, Mary and Elizabeth Tudor. Now, Ella was pregnant again but she hadn't had an heir yet. A son for Harry and he was becoming tired. He had twins Henry and Anne Fitzroy from a mistress. She allowed him to have mistresses to keep him happy. But she had always felt broken when he was with another woman. Whether it was someone she knew or someone she didn't. It hurt so much more. Harry didn't know how to love Isabella. Especially since Joanna's death a year ago had made Isabella the Queen of both Castile and Aragon uniting England under one rule.

"Good morning" Rosa had stayed in England while Lina and Catherine had returned to Spain.

"Hello dear." Isabella smiled at the little Elizabeth in Rosa's arms and Mary clinging to her dress.

"They wanted to say good morning." Rosa offered kindly

"Where is Annie?" Ella looked for her eldest daughter

"Reading." Rosa replied.

Rosa had married Charles Brandon since Eleanor had abandoned England to fight a war. A war in France. Jacquetta had married old King Louis to save Mary but he died shortly. She had his daughter Alexandra of France and returned to England where she lived. Little Mary was know truly grown and needed marriage. Which was left to Wolsey, Henry didn't arrange much these days but left it to his right hand man.

"She's truly my daughter. Isn't she?" Ella laughed

"Truly." Mary smiled at her mother

"How's the baby?" Rosa asked

"A few weeks to go. I'm hoping for a son. Harry would come back to me if I had a son." Ella smiled

"I know it." Rosa nodded her head confidently

"You said that the last three times." Ella laughed

Even in her time of trouble she was still elegant and graceful. The room lit at her smile.

"I'm sorry the confinement is hard. But at least Henry allows the girls to see you." Rosa offered

"True indeed." Ella grinned hugging Lizzie in her arms and stroking Mary's hair.

"I'll come back later with Joanna." Rosa took Lizzie and Mary out.

—————

It had been two days since Henry had learnt his wife was struggling in confinement. He hadn't been to see her but he allowed his daughters to go. Instead he and Wolsey talked matters of state.

"I'm thinking of taking a young lady for a mistress." Henry spoke as they hunted

Wolsey wasn't the kindest man. Always in it for himself. But he did like Isabella, though, he'd never tell her.

"Is that so?" Wolsey asked, "while your wife births another child."

"She knows. She accepts. It's one of the many reasons I love her. Isn't that right Brandon?" Henry looked to Charles

The two had grown less close. Charles had three sons with Rosa and a fourth on the way hopefully. One was Henry, the second was Charles and the third was George.

"True." Charlie nodded back

"Women are what god made to give to us." Henry laughed

"Very wise, Sire." Wolsey nodded in agreement

"Come along." Henry laughed hunting.

—————

"Rosa!" Isabella screamed as her child started to come.

"Oh god!" Rosa nearly fainted but woke in realisation. No one was ready for this.

"Help me." Maggie Pole looked at Rosa.

After a long eleven hour labour Isabella had birthed a son. Edward Tudor. The heir to England. When Henry heard he left a meeting and rushed to his wife where he found her lying in blood seemingly still.

"What's happened to her?" Henry asked

"She's ill. We think child bed fever." Rosa said softly

"You mean... what my mother died of." Henry fell beside Isabella clutching her hand

"El, I need you to wake up." But she didn't

"Please mummy." Joanna was behind her father

She had snuck in and looked at her mother.

"Get her out of here." Henry bellowed and Maggie grabbed her hand and lead her out.

"Rosa, find someone, anyone to save my wife." Henry pleaded

"Of course." Rosa left running to find someone.

—————

The days in England had become cold and dark because of the news of Isabella. If she died, Joanna and Mary would become Queens of Castile and Aragon. She had divided it so that both girls could become a ruler. She hoped Elizabeth would marry a King one day.

"God, I pray to you. Let Ella live and I will stop drinking, whoring and doing whatever I do. I will look after my wife, my son and my daughters. Please." Henry prayed non stop to his god.

But if the Queen died... all was lost.

You'll have to wait and see for the next chapter. I'm really sorry this is short but I'm busy and I wanted a new chapter out!!