The Blunt of Things

I breathed in deeply through my nose as I pulled down my mirror, examining myself. I looked okay, my bright blue eyes, and long eyelashes, with mascara. I ran my fingers through my wavy, long, dirty blonde/light brown hair.

I looked down and fixed my floral crop top, and my cream colored sweater. My whitewash, slightly ripped jean shorts, resting on my hips, exposing my bellybutton ring against my tan skin. My white vans were slightly dirty.

I stepped down out of my truck and opened up the back door, grabbing my caramel brown leather bag, throwing it over my shoulder, it swinging and hitting my butt. My phone was on the other side of the truck, laying on the seat, so I stepped on the step and leaned over, grabbing it.

Someone pinched my butt, and I jumped down, staring at them. Well, up at them, me being 5'0 exactly. Jocks.

"Hey love. My name is James. Lemme take you out tonight and show you a good time. You new here? I can show you where we go to have fun." The one in the front said. He was tall, blonde hair, letterman jacket. Typical jock. He had about 7 other guys behind him, all wearing letterman jackets. James smirked and winked at me.

"I'm not interested in arrogant prudes like yourself." I said, putting my hands on my hips.

The guys behind him put their hands over their mouths. James looked surprised. "Oh I'm sorry." I said, "Are you not used to getting rejected?" I closed my doors, turning around and walking toward the front of the school, leaving them there in shock.

- You see, my name is Haley. Haley Thomas. I'm going to save you the sob story, and be blunt, I'm not one to mince words. My mom died of cancer, my dad is in jail. I have a brother, who is one year older than me. We were shipped to live with my aunt, who is a crackhead. Our uncle is our actual caretaker. We live at their house, and were sent here to finish our studies. My brother is already in school, and me, being me, missed my alarm, and am coming in at lunch. -

"Haley!!" I heard, as I walked in the lunchroom. I look to see my brother, Arsen, frantically waving and flapping his arms, at the other end of the cafateria. I laughed to myself and walked over, weaving my way through the tables and chairs, and the packed bodies of people who like to stand in the isle ways.

I hugged him when I reached him, and he pulled out a chair next to him, and I sat down, moving my bag to my lap. He sat down next to me, looking at me.

The table he brought me to was actually three circular tables put together, in the middle right of the cafateria. There were 3 guys sitting there, all looking at me, just as my brother was.

"What?" I awkwardly said, laughing and looking at Arsen.

"Nothing. Did you just get here?"

"Yea I stepped out of my truck and dodged a few jocks." I said, slightly laughing.

"Oh." He said, looking at his hands.

I tapped his leg under the table and he looked at me. I flickered my eyes to the guys staring at me, then back at him. "Oh. How rude of me. Haley, this is Chris, Landon, and Scott. Guys, this is my sister, Haley."

I smiled at them. "Hi." I said.

They smiled and mumbled 'Hey' at me simultaneously, then went back to what they were doing, whether it was eating, or being engorged in their phones.

"How did you make friends so quickly?" I asked, more or so in a hushed tone.

"One of the three were in my first three periods, then all three were in my fourth." Arsen said.

"Oh thats cool."

"You know, you really shoud have been on time, it being our first day and all."

"Okay mom, I'll be on time tomorrow." I said.

Arsen laughed and took a bite of his apple. "You hungry?" He said, offering me the apple, his mouth full.

"No." I laughed, fake wiping my face.

"Sorry." He said, wiping his mouth.

"You're fine." I chuckled, pulling out a piece of gum from my purse, popping it in my mouth.

The bell rang and I followed Arsen over to the tray dumping station, where he dumped extra food off his tray and placed it on a conveyer belt leading back to the kitchen. He adjusted his backpack and looked at me, "Did you already get your schedule? From the office?"

"No. I came in trying to find you."

"Oh. Well follow me, I'll take you to the office." He said, clumsily throwing an arm around me, leading me down a hallway.

As we walked, I got stares from people, mostly guys, and a few girls that looked lesbian. I awkwardly looked away. Not that I have anything against lesbians or gays, just that I have never been hit on by one, so I wouldn't know what to expect.

Arsen yanked me into the office and said my name. They gave me a schedule and directions to my next class. I wasn't paying attention. There was a guy slouching on a chair, his head in one hand, him staring at the ground.

He was beautiful. He had the perfect square jawline, his eyes a forest green, piercing and breathtaking. He had touseled jet black hair, messily spiked up. He had guages, not too big, but definitley big enough to see. He was wearing a black Huf shirt, and black skinny jeans, that, by the looks of it, sagged slightly. He was wearing all black vans, and had a black beanie sitting on his knee.

"Haley." Arsen said, making me jump. He eyed the guy, and roughly grabbed my arm. "Come on." He growled under his breath.