Chapter 4

Chapter 4:

Out of all the ways to wake up that would put someone in a bad mood, spilling hour old cold coffee on yourself is most possibly one of the grosser ones.

Allegra Deschamps had taken pity on her granddaughter and brought her a warm breakfast in bed to get the day started right. Simone had dozed off with the coffee tray on her lap, woken up every couple minutes to make sure she wasn't gonna spill it on her.

About an hour later, not having stayed awake for more than 5 consecutive minutes, the dark coffee was now all over her baby pink sheets. With the coffee seeping into her mattress, and her hoodie stained, Simone dragged herself out of bed to try to salvage her Tuesday morning.

"Oh dear." Allegra tried to contain the amusement at her granddaughter's misfortune from the door frame. "Looks like your streak of luck ran out."

Simone cast a dark look at her Nona.

"Don't give me that look young lady. I gave you breakfast in bed you should've woken up and this would not have happened." She chastised as she walked further into the room to help her strip the bed.

"Sorry Nona," The dark brunette sighed, the palm of her hand running down her tired face. "I'm just having a bad... month?"

"Then get your butt into gear young lady." She pointed a bony finger at Simone.

Before Simone could respond, her grandpa poked his head into the doorway.

"What happened here?"

"Uhm... I had a nasty fight with my coffee?" Simone replied.

"It won." Allegra clarified for her, rolling up the bedsheets in her arms and turning back to Simone, "You go ahead and get ready for the day. I'll put these in the wash and we can all go out for a coffee instead."

"I like that idea, pancakes and bacon too?" Andre walked into put an arm over his wife's shoulder, who rolled her eyes.

"Can you guys drop me off at work afterwards?"

"Of course, love" Andre smiled; the sixty-eight old man had lost the thickness in his French accent. The years had worn down his words after being submerged in another language, along with the English classes. Living in Florida was a hit or miss when it came to having an accent, people understood and at least tried to work with you while others said they didn't understand you because of the way you pronounce 'water'. The xenophobia was amusing to the family considering he was American born, raised in Marseille until he was sixteen years old.

Simone noted how relaxed he was around her and his wife, she knew he'd turn serious the moment he was in the public eye. It made her sad knowing such loving people were insecure about their accents, yet they put it aside for the love they had for their children.

She'd rather sit down on the living room couch and have coffee and European delicacies the couple made together in the kitchen. Simone would do anything for her grandparents, those who raised and loved her as if she was made by them, so she smiled at them as well. Agreeing to have breakfast, but only if she could choose.

Once she was seated in a corner booth with the view of the gulf coast directly in front of her hazel eyes and a hot cup of dark coffee in her hands, Simone couldn't help but sigh at the peace she felt.

The mug held up to her face provided warmth against the cold ac of the coffee shop, she peeked her eyes above the mug to look at the couple in front of her. She wondered what it would be like if there were two couple, three generation, sitting at the table with her.

Simone studied the golden hair on her grandfathers' head, it was almost fully gray. While the man had the build of someone who served in the navy, his high cheekbones were enough to make one believe he's malnourished. The only thing he and his granddaughter shared were their eyes, same shape and color.