𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑨𝑹𝑹𝑰𝑽𝑨𝑳

"Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen."

"Father, we're late," Iris repeated for the twelfth time. Mr. Westworth groaned and resisted the urge to slam on the breaks of his daughter's brand new, purple 1957 Ford Thunderbird. It had been a birthday gift from her Aunt Marcie back in October, and the girl had been driving it around Savannah, Georgia ever since she got her hands on the keys. Savannah was a far ways away from Vermont; a whopping 17 hours in the car. The family, consisting of Arnold Westworth, Mariam Westworth, Daniel Westworth, and Iris Westworth, had only stopped to sleep and grab food from a Dairy Queen. Iris had only trusted herself and her father to drive, and seeing as she was currently taking a break, the nagging was incessant.  

"Darling, we know! The headmaster has been contacted, he knows we'll show up late. Now please, for the love of all things holy, go to sleep!" Arnold was an uptight man. Being raised in the south, he had quite the conservative view for his children. Daniel was the quarterback of a prestigious college, charming, and smart. He was tall, well-built, and looked like a younger version of James Dean, according to a few of his sister's friends. Iris took after her mother. She was smart, cunning, opinionated, and shockingly beautiful. Her light brown hair framed her face perfectly, and was often pulled back by a white headband. The girl was clad in a knee-length yellow skirt, white button-up, and, much to her father's detest, her large, worn out leather jacket. 

Iris gazed out the window, imagining herself in a movie. She was quite the hopeless romantic, often focusing her time (that could have been well used in other subjects) on small things, weather it be ribbons, plants, or her current obsessions, Greek mythology and poetry. The brunet girl hummed 'Venus' by Frankie Avalon as the car pulled into a crowded gravel pathway, her father tried as hard as he could not to hit any luggage that had been cast aside. Boys littered the sidewalks and lawn, yelling at their friends and families. Iris's eyes lit up as the motor grumbled to a stop. Her father walked around the car to open her door, only to see she had already jumped out and was opening the trunk.

"Iris, dear, let Daniel get your bags out," Mariam called to her daughter. Daniel reached over his sister and carefully lifted the leather luggage out and handed it to his sister.

"There you go, little sis," The boy said jokingly, winking at her.

"Thank you very much, big brother. Did I ever tell you how much I love you?" Iris smiled cheekily as her brother tapped his chin, pretending to think about his answer.

"You know, I don't think you have, I'm honored." Iris scoffed and pushed her brother playfully before hugging both of her parents.

"You must write to us, ok? I love you and I'll miss you!" Mariam was teary-eyed while her husband nodded and smiled.

"We'll call you soon, honey. I love you," He said.