35 | Alone time

"Wonder if any of these smell familiar. Here, try this one." Benny hands a jar to Ethan. "Okay. Oh! Smells like bacon and gym socks. Ew, wow. Wait. It's pretty close. What is it?" Ethan smells the first one then the second one. "A-ha! Sulphur, or, to the necromancer, brimstone. And where there's brimstone, there's black magic. Or rotten eggs." Benny tells him. "There were no eggs." Ethan adds. "Black magic it is!" Benny shouts making Sadie shake her head.

"This mist is about to get demystified!" Ethan smiles. "Can I get a hi-five? Woo!" They high five."Ugh, dude, did you spill some of that on your hand?" Ethan smells his hand. "Naw, I scratched my butt." Benny leaves the room. "Now you understand why I refuse to touch his hand at times." Sadie tells him before leaving.

---

---

"Ow! Mind the head!" Ethan groans as Rory puts him down. "Sorry, man, should have put a this-end-up stamp on this blanket." Rory says as Sadie helps Ethan up. "All clear. I doubled back and snuck in. And I marked every spell that involves evil smoke, sulphur, and violence." Benny comes into the room. "Wow, that's a lot of smokey violence." Rory says seeing the book marked a lot. "Hence the name black magic, and not nice, sunny, smiley face magic." Benny smiles making Sadie hit him. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, there's over a dozen disappearances in the last month. And on almost all of them, they say no recent picture available." Ethan looks at the page.

"So this magic mist attacks people who don't own a camera!" Rory says not fully getting it. "Or a mist that attacks people who don't show up on camera." Ethan adds. "Right! Shy people." Rory snaps his finger. "No, dude, vampires!" Ethan tells him annoyed. "Here, this must be it. Inspira mortis. The breath of death. Whoever uses this can transform their anger or dark energies into a physical vapor that seeks out and destroys its intended target." Benny reads from the book. "That's why it totally ignored me! It's only going after vampires. We have to warn Sarah." Ethan says getting his phone out.

"I think I found a way to fight the breath of death." Benny says after looking through his book. "And don't say hold your noses." Ethan points at Rory. "Ancient tribes used these witch bottles to lure evil spirits away from people, and then trap them." Benny explains to Ethan. "Cool. Last time I checked, we're fresh out of witch bottles." Ethan tells him. "Any container can work. Like this. As long as you put the right symbols on them and Benny or I say the right spell over it." Sadie got up dumping pens and pencils out. "The hard part's the bait. Items from the spirit's target." Benny speaks up after her.