Chapter 2

The following morning, we received the grade for a chemistry test. I love chemistry. Not only is it a fascinating subject, but I'm also quite competent at it. For the entire semester, I've received the highest grades in the class. Up until today, that is.

When the teacher went around passing out papers, I experienced an awful shock. As he set my test in front of me, my jaw dropped in disbelief. Sixty-two percent.

How could this happen? I'd been completely certain that I understood the material! I shook my head slowly as I stared at the awful red marker that bled from every corner of my test.

Suddenly, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning around slowly, I noticed it was Eric, the kid who sat directly behind me. Nobody likes Eric. He's a complete idiot and his social skills are atrocious. Presently, his face held an unmistakable grin of triumph.

"What happened, Azema?" he taunted, gesturing to my bombed test.

"None of your business," I grumbled back.

He just grinned wider, holding up his own paper. "Eighty-one percent," he hissed coolly, flicking it in pride. On an average results day, I would have been ashamed to get an eighty-one percent. Usually Eric would be the one failing. It would seem that today we'd swapped places.

"I knew that you were going to fail," he continued, relishing his superiority. He'd never liked me, and now he'd found a crack in my shell to nag me about.

"And how would you know that?" I sighed sharply, turning back around to face the correct direction.

"I dreamed about it a couple of days ago."

An electric pulse seemed to shoot through me and I jerked back towards him. "What?" I said stupidly, racking my brain to see if I remembered him as one of the staring people.

"Are you deaf?" laughed Eric. "I said, I dreamed about it."

My stomach started to writhe, although I didn't really know why. "What was it like?" I muttered through my teeth.

Eric seemed confused. "Why do you care?"

"That's none of your business."

"Hmph," he said gruffly. "It was a strange dream – almost supernatural."

"Anything else?" I demanded.

"Yeah, sure, but why would I tell you? It's like you said. It's none of your business." He gave me an infuriating grin like he was finished talking for good. I rolled my eyes in irritation and ignored him. Why should I let someone like Eric bother me?

Still, I couldn't help but feel bothered for the rest of the hour. What was my mind occupied with? Dreams. Someone had dreamed about me – and what they'd seen came true. Also, he'd explained it as 'supernatural,' just like Felix. Was that enough to start being freaked out?

I sighed. It must have been another coincidence. Eric hated me – that was no secret. It was all because I was smart and he wasn't. We'd never been equals, academically speaking. Maybe, he'd dreamed that I'd failed because of a jealous mind. He wanted to see me fail, so he did. Then, coincidentally, the same thing happened in real life.

Yes, I decided. That's exactly what happened. Now that I had an explanation for myself, I went about the rest of the day in peace. Thankfully, nobody stared at me, so I figured that whatever had happened was fixed. By now, Felix's idea seemed very silly to me.

I play on our school's football team, the Maples, so immediately after class I changed into my gear and headed out to practice. A scrimmage was set for the following day, so our coach drilled us until our legs were wobbly and our hair dripped with sweat. I love football more than anything else in the world. My shoulders are broad and my body is fairly muscular, but I'm still quicker and more agile than most of my teammates. I don't like to be cocky, but even though I'm not very tall, I'm honestly one of our best players. I've been playing since I was seven, and I don't plan to stop any time soon.