Chapter 1: On my way

So, somehow, I got into "Kid Icarus: Uprising" and "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" and I've been wanting to write this for a while now. Funny how that happens. I know I should be focusing on my Star Wars fics, but since when have I ever stuck to what I'm supposed to?

This is the first part in a short one-shot series. Three one-shots will be dedicated to the Kid Icarus characters (including this one) and one will focus on Mario and Luigi.

I hope you all enjoy this!

<>START<>

Pit surged upward, gasping as his eyes opened. He looked around wildly, breathing rapidly. He looked to be in the ruins of a building, a temple maybe? He was sitting on the ground. Why was he on the ground? Hadn't he been flying—

"Pit?" Pit heard the question from beside him. He turned to face the noise and smiled at Lucas.

"Hey Lucas!" Pit exclaimed, pulling him closer. They hugged for a moment, and then Pit gently pulled away.

Looking around them, Pit asked, "Where are we? What happened? Last I remember—"

Pit abruptly stopped. Lucas looked at him sadly, knowing that he remembered. He remembered Lady Palutena making him and Pittoo fly, not wanting to leave his goddess behind, but her controlling his flight path. He remembered turning to watch in horror as she attempted to hold off those... beams of light, but failing and disappearing just like everyone else. He remembered screaming as he was falling, but the screaming of Pittoo being so much louder in his ears; the raw panic that he could feel from his twin through their bond. Then, nothing.

"Where are they?" Pit demanded, standing up. "Where are Lady Palutena and Pittoo? What happened to us after... after we were hit? Why aren't they with me?"

Why can't Pit feel his twin? It had been so long since Pittoo had been born and a constant presence in the back of Pit's mind that not feeling his brother now was making him feel like a zombie.

"I'm sorry, Pit," Lucas said. "I haven't seen either of them since I woke up and none of the others mentioned Dark Pit or Lady Palutena."

Pit sighed in exasperation. "Can you please tell me what happened? Woke up? What happened to the others?"

"Almost all of us were taken by the light beams," Lucas started. "Only Kirby barely managed to escape."

Pit's eyes widened in horror. "If only Kirby escaped, does that mean it wasn't just the rest of us fighters that were taken? Was everyone?"

Lucas nodded sadly. "Yeah. Galeem made copies of all of us, multiple in some cases, and spirits of others took control of the empty copies."

Pit got a sinking feeling in his stomach. "And what happened to us? The fighters, I mean."

"For us," Lucas continued, "he basically possessed us into doing his dirty work for him."

"That's... sick," Pit stated in disgust, not sure how else to describe it. He had been afraid of the whole possession thing happening to him again ever since the Chaos Kin incident. He knew that when Lady Palutena and Pittoo were saved that they wouldn't be too happy about it either. "Is that why I don't remember much of anything?"

"Most likely," Lucas said. "Kirby started going around and freeing everyone he came across from Galeem's control."

"Let me guess, to free someone, you have to win a fight with them?" Pit asked.

"That is the way," Lucas replied.

Pit nodded. "Well, that explains why I hurt."

Lucas winced in sympathy. "I'm sorry."