Chapter sixteen

I woke up to a knock on my door. - Betty! - I squinted because the light filling my room bothered my eyes. - Betty! Breakfast is ready! The funeral is in two hours! - I realized the yelling voice belonged to my mother.

- I'm coming! - I yelled back and stood up from the bed. The cold breeze made me shiver. I'm naked. Jughead... I looked over at my old bed and it was empty. The only sign that he was really here was the messy pillow. I quickly took a shower and washed my hair, and picked out a black dress from my closet. I feel like a teenager again. Last night was surprising but it made me believe that the connection between us is stronger than anything. We can survive anything, together. My hair air-dried by the time I slipped into the dress and headed downstairs to grab breakfast. It hurts that Jughead sneaked out but I'm sure he didn't want our parents to know what happened between us. When I arrived downstairs I saw that he wasn't sitting at the table. Maybe he's getting ready upstairs.

- Good morning, Betty. - FP lowered the newspaper he was holding and smiled at me. Mom was flipping a pancake in the pan.

- Did you sleep well, honey? - Mom asked while placing a plate of pancakes in front of me.

- Yeah. - I smiled slightly and looked at FP. – Uh...Did he stay the night? -

- No. He went back to the hotel. - He looked at me then at mom. - Listen, Betty. I'm sorry we asked him to come over when you were here. We should've told you... -

- It's alright, Mr. Jones. - I replied trying to make them feel less awkward. - He's your son and you're with my mom. You don't have to apologize. - I smiled again and he nodded taking a sip of his coffee. Does this mean that Jughead left because he regrets what happened? He should've texted me or left me a message. I forced a few bites down on my throat but I was too anxious. I have the day off because today is Reggie's funeral; meaning Dylan is in charge of the day. I walked back upstairs to curl my hair before we leave. My mind was all about Jughead again. Sleeping together wasn't the best choice but it happened. I grabbed my bag and walked out to the car. FP was already waiting for mom.

- Are you okay? - He asked looking at me.

- Yeah. - I lied but I couldn't tell him that his son and I slept together yesterday then he bailed on me. I got inside the car and checked my phone while mom locked the house. Archie, Mrs. Andrews, and her girlfriend walked out of their house and FP walked up to them saying hi. Archie noticed me in the car so I raised my hand waving at him and he mouthed a 'hi'. Mom finally got inside the car and FP started driving to the cemetery.

The cemetery was full. We made our way through the crowd and stood near the casket. Reggie's mom was sobbing while his dad stood there without showing any emotion. I always hated that man. Pop Tate stood further away. Veronica and her husband Chad stood front line. V was already crying but Chad supported her. I'm glad she found someone who is good for her. Cheryl was standing behind Toni who was sitting front line. I haven't seen Toni for a long time. I knew she was pregnant but I didn't know she was this far. Archie stood front line, near Reggie's parents. Kevin walked beside me and hugged me. - Hi. - I smiled softly. Thank God Kevin visited New York often and stayed at my place when he did. He was my only friend. Sheriff Keller, Mrs. McCoy, and Josie stood behind us. Everyone was here except Jughead. He wasn't great friends with Reggie but he came back for his funeral. Why would he miss it? I hope nothing happened to him...

- We are gathered here to say farewell to Reginald Mantle and to commit him into the hands of God. - The priest began his speech. I looked at the picture of Reggie next to his casket and teared up. We listened to the service and watched Reggie sink into the ground. My face was buried into Kevin's chest as I cried when someone touched my back and pulled me closer. I looked up to see who held me so closely. Jughead looked down at me with his blue eyes and caressed my hair while I was hugging him. It relieved my sadness. - Receive the Lord's blessing. The Lord bless you and watch over you. The Lord make his face shine upon you, and be gracious to you. The Lord look kindly on you and give you peace; In the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. - The priest finished up by blessing us and we started walking to his grave to place our flowers on it. I went after Cheryl with mom, FP, and Jughead. I walked up to Veronica and hugged her tightly. Chad and Jughead greeted each other next to us. Veronica loved Reggie once. Even though she chose Archie instead she loved him. She sniffled and looked at us.

- We're holding a wake at Pop's. - Veronica said looking around. By this time Cheryl and Toni, Kevin, Josie, and Archie were standing by Reggie's grave. - For old times' sake... - She added quietly.

We all drove to Pop's diner and sat down at the same table. The table had fresh burgers, fries, and milkshakes on it. Jughead stacked his plate up with burgers. I looked at him angrily. - What? You guys know I'm always hungry. - He said and everyone chuckled.

- I wish Reggie could be here with us. - Josie sighed and took a sip of her milkshake.

- It's sad that one of us had to die so that we'd come back together. - Cheryl replied.

- Are there any news on the case, Betty? - Toni looked at me.

- Yeah. We found hidden money and drugs under the office table in El Royale. We also found letters dating back to 2023. Also, Reggie never owned the club. The letters were for Archie. - I said and looked over at Archie.

- I passed it over to Reggie before I left. You remember it, Ronnie. - Archie looked at Veronica. I could see that Chad was annoyed by Archie. Understandable.

- That's true. But we never saw him a sign. - Veronica replied.

- Who deals with drugs in Riverdale? - Jughead asked wiping his lips with his hand.

- The Ghoulies. - Toni replied.

- But why would Reggie deal drugs and not pay the bills from it? - Archie looked at me as he asked.

- Hello? Am I the only one connecting the dots together? - Cheryl asked sassily. - You gave him El Royale. He didn't sign the contract because he was working for the Hiram Lodge. If Mr. Lodge would've known that he was in the drug business, he would've wanted to be a part of it and the Ghoulies hate Hiram. Sorry, Veronica. -

- Non-taken. - V replied shrugging.

- So Reggie worked for Hiram and the Ghoulies at the same time. - Jughead said.

- Ding-ding-ding. - Cheryl looked at him.

- Now the only question is: Which one of them killed him? - I asked looking at the group of people I was sitting with.