Prologue

"Emma, please go to sleep. I'm exhausted, and you've kept me up for the past three nights."Emma never wants to sleep except in the afternoon, then she stays up all night long, which means I also stay up all night with her.

I wish her father was here to help care for her, but I honestly don't know who he is. It was a drunken one-night stand with a guy around my age. Maybe I should start from the very beginning; how it all happened and why I'm here now with a six-month-old daughter, alone in an apartment.

*****

Christmas break is over, and we're back at school. I wish fall break lasted longer than just two weeks, and it passes by fast if you're having fun. My friends and I hung out every hour of every single day, going shopping, eating out, and going to our local amusement park and local water park.

"So, Maya, what should we do for Spring break this year?" Tara and Sara ask me simultaneously."Party! Duh!" We giggle at my response as we walk to our first-period class.

As they walk to their separate classes, Tara and Sarah wave bye and smile simultaneously. There isn't a single thing they do without each other except sleep and bathe; they have separate bedrooms and bathrooms.

Spring comes too fast. School is almost over, and I can't wait for the summer to come sooner. One guy at our school always throws the best parties during school breaks, and this one is going to be extraordinary.

After searching through my closet for two hours, I picked out a cute and casual navy blue striped dress for tonight. Choosing what outfit to wear for the party of the year is not easy."Maya, you look fabulous!"

"Thanks! This took forever to pick out. I couldn't find anything for over two hours. But I'm glad I found this one. I love it so much."

Once I finish putting on my eyeliner and mascara, we leave and head to the party. We can tell we're close because there's loud music, screaming heard from over a block away, and lights seen from even further away. We pull up, look at the crowds outside, and see it's packed inside."This night is going to be unforgettable!"