There's something not right about those twins

They sat at the table eating breakfast, checking their iPhones, as if last night hadn't happened. But it had happened. The proof was in the driveway.

Their mom tapped her pen on the kitchen counter as she reviewed her briefs for the day. In a few minutes, she would be out the door. She blew on her coffee and then gulped it in turn while their breakfast sandwiches spun in the microwave. The Callaghan twins needed a distraction.

"Throw up," Caden typed to Aiden.

Aiden turned toward the window and stuck his fist in his mouth. He hunched his shoulders and retched, a sound covered by the microwave beeping. Nothing came up. He wiped his spitty hand on his jeans and shrugged at his brother. Their mom slid the plastic plates containing their steaming sandwiches across the table in their direction while she manipulated her phone.

"Try something else," Caden typed. "If she doesn't notice until after work, she might think someone hit her in the car park."

Aiden went to the fridge. He liked ketchup on his sandwich. On his phone, his brother added, "Get her upset."

"Hey, Mom," Aiden said.

"Hmm?" she asked without looking at him.

Aiden paused waiting for inspiration to come to him.

The Callaghan twins operate a protective force field that deflects ire and disappointment. None of their antics, and there have been many, surpassed their power to win people over. Two sets of wide, blinking eyes, two sets of arms reaching for a reassuring hug, two minds set on exactly the same goal. They have always escaped punishment.

But with the arrival of smelly armpits and cracking voices, their magic has diminished. What was charming in eight-year-old identical twins is now slightly pathological for thirteen-year-olds.

Plus dying the swimming pool brown and tipping over the fridge to get at the Halloween candy their mom had stashed on top were more innocent accidents than knocking flat a street light in their mom's car while joyriding with Madeline and her mint-flavored Juul.

"Did you hear what Meghan Markle said to the Queen?" It was the first thing Aiden could think of to upset his mom.

"No, what?" She was already googling for the story.

Caden rolled his eyes at his brother and cleared his throat.

"Mom," he said in a soft voice. "Dad and Jennifer want to move to England for the summer. He said they'd take us."

"Oh, he did, did he?" Her tone was sharp. Caden's maneuver was masterful. He knew which buttons to push.

"But we'd rather stay here with you," Aiden added quickly.

Their force field hummed with power. Their mom slipped her files into her satchel and joined them at the table.

"The Conway case will be over before you guys get out for summer vacation. I promise we'll do something fun then. I'm sorry I've been distracted lately. I'm so lucky to have you boys." She kissed them both on top of their heads. "Eat your sandwiches," she added, heading for the sink.

The doorbell rang. Aiden contemplated his rapidly cooling sandwich. He might be able to throw up for real this time.

Their mom answered the door and they heard: "Good morning, Audrey. I'm here on police business. Are your boys home?"

Their force field blinked off.