Chapter Three: Leaving The Known Behind

"Am I hearing this right," Raven scoffed while glancing at Grace and Imere who sat at the kitchen table across from her. She rested her elbow on the table, and her hand was held out in disgust.
     "So let me get this straight. You all woke up. Strapped down to tables? And you fought two doctors to escape the building. You found these two in a glass box, and have been running home for the past hour," Raven inquired.
     "I know. I know it sounds crazy," Brendan persuaded. "But you have to believe us. We aren't making this up."
          The three women sitting at the table looked at each other in a confused state of mind: none of them knowing what to do.
     "We have to get out of here. Or something. We can't just sit here. They're going to be here any minute," Justin cried.
     "Why don't you all go upstairs and gather some bags together," Imere prodded. The five teenagers reluctantly filed upstairs. Suddenly, Imere pushed herself out of her chair and let out a cry.
     "Oh, I'm so stupid," Imere said through teary eyes.
     "Oh no you're not! What do you mean," Grace said as she ran over to Imere to console her. Imere buried her face into Grace's chest, and the young woman wrapped her arms around her childhood caretaker. Warm tears flowed down her cold, wrinkled cheeks. Looking up to see Grace's warm, welcoming face melted her heart.
     "Oh, Grace. You'll have to forgive me," Imere sniffled. "When you came to the Warehouse so many years ago, you gave me a note the very first night. I didn't think anything of it. Oh, I'm so stupid."
          Imere burst back into tears and sat down in her chair so she could bury her face against the table.
"What was on the note?" Grace asked.
"It was a warning. That something like this would happen. I should've paid closer attention to it. It told me that Justin was a special child. Justin was born with a strain of the virus already in his body and over time the virus has grown."
     "What! And you didn't say anything. You know how dangerous this virus can be. He could've died. We have to find a way to get the virus out of him," Grace ranted.
     "Wait," Imere said upon having a sudden realization. "There was an address on the note telling us where to take him if something bad ever happened," she continued as she rushed into the living room.
     "Here, take this," Imere whispered as she handed the note to Grace. Grace paced the floor below her with her hand pressed against her forehead. Butterflies filled her stomach, and she felt like throwing up.
     "I can't deal with stuff like this," Grace groaned. "This address is too far away. If what the boys say is true, we have seldom time to get them there."
          Heavy footsteps came running down the stairs. The five of them each had a bag draped over their backs. They had changed into different clothes, and Grace noticed that the three newcomers were wearing some of their clothes. The blondes had shed their jumpsuits and now wore sweatpants with a T-Shirt while the other girl had a purple track suit with her hair tied in a high ponytail.
"We packed you guys some stuff too," Justin said as he gestured to Raven, Grace, and Imere. Before you say no, we aren't leaving without you guys. You three have raised us our whole lives, and we can't let the Government do anything to you guys. We wouldn't be able to live with ourselves."
     "Oh honey," Imere whispered. She held her hand to Justin's cheek and looked longingly into his eyes. "I love you with all my heart," she smiled. "But I'm far too old. I'll just slow you guys down."
     "We refuse to leave you," Brandon butted in. "You and Raven have done so much for us! You took me in all those years ago after my parents abandoned me in the market place. If I have to carry you out of here, I will."
          The touching moment of sentimentality passed like a blink of the eye when a loud knocking erupting outside the front door.
     "We have to go right now," Justin demanded.
     "Quick! Everyone go out the back door. Across the street from the fence is a sewage lid. We can open that up and travel underground to avoid exposure," Imere chimed in.
          The sound only grew louder, for the people waiting outside began to use a battering ram as an attempt to break the hinges of the locked door. The group left the comfort of The Warehouse and welcomed the unknown. The afternoon air had cooled down from the blistering heats of the morning. The sun was low, and the group traveled among the shadows. Opening the metal fence, Justin and Imere led the way to make sure their ahead course was clear of any obstacles. They crouched down in a fern-like bush on the outskirts of the yard. Justin creeped forward and darted out to upturn the sewer lid.
     "Quick! Come on everyone," he whispered while motioning for them to advance. Grace and Raven dashed across the road and fumbled their way down the ladder into the smelly abyss below the street level. Justin watched his surroundings as the two made their way to the bottom. He motioned for another person to come and the blondes pushed their way down below. Imere and the new girl followed right behind with Brendan going soon after.
Justin looked around one last time at daylight and sighed. Was this really his life now he thought. Why are we even running? What does the Capital want with us? So many questions with such little time. And no answers. That was the most bothersome. I want some answers Justin seemed to internally scream. He took two steps down the ladder and said goodbye to his childhood home. Closing the lid behind him, Justin encased the group into the darkness of the sewer pipes. He jumped down and landed in a sloshy pool of filth that immediately filled his shoes. The smell was rancid. His nostril hairs burned from the stink that emanated throughout the sewer. Fumbling around in his backpack, Brendan pulled out a small flashlight that illuminated a small path ahead of them.
     "Where to?" Justin asked. "Are we just gonna live out the rest of our lives underground."
     "Actually, I have an address. The day mom and dad died mom gave me this note to give to Imere. We had completely forgotten about it until this afternoon."
     "Give me that," Justin snarled as he snatched the note from Grace's open hands.
     "Dear Grace and Justin," he read out loud. "By the time you're reading this, I'll be long gone. Imere was like an older sister to me growing up, and I trust her with all my heart to raise you guys. Justin, he is a special child. He was born with a rare birth condition where the virus was already in his DNA. Don't worry! He's not in danger. Go to 3179 Templewood Road, and all will be explained. I love you guys. Please remember that we are always with you even if we can't physically be there. Love, Mom!"
          Justin's head dropped, and he handed the note back to his older sister. He sniffled his nose and wiped a tear from his cheek.
     "Justin, it's okay," Grace consoled as she walked over to embrace her brother. Brushing his sister off, Justin stepped forward next to Brendan.
     "So which way do we need to go," Justin choked out.
     "I know the way," Imere stepped forward. "Stick with me Brandon, and we'll lead the way."
          The group slugged forward through the thick, smelly concoction of sewer water, urine, and human secretion. Mud green algae covered the walls, and warm droplets of water fell from pipe roof.
     "So what are your guys' named?" Brendan called back to the newcomers.
     "I'm Courtney," a voice answered. Brendan turned around to see the girl he rescued from the table talking. Courtney turned to Grace to explain part of the story to her. "I was in the same room with Justin and Brendan. Strapped to a table as well. After the fight broke out, my mind was groggy. All I remember was seeing Brendan's face as I was being rescued."
          Brendan's cheeks turned a rosy red color, so he turned back around to avoid embarrassment. Imere chuckled and nudged Brendan in the side with her elbow. He turned and smiled at her, giving off a half smirk.
     "What about you two," Grace chimed while pointing at the blondes.
     "I'm Will and this is my twin sister Blair," the boy spoke up.
     "This has been on my mind ever since," Brendan interrupted. "What were you two doing in that room... in that box?!"
     "We were having a party. Couldn't you tell how much fun we were having," Will dodged back. A moment of silence passed before he began again. "We were in the same room as you guys: strapped down to those tables. Our anesthesia wore off fairly early, so the doctors took us away to a testing location. They shoved us in a glass holding container while they prepared for our "appointment". That was when Dr.Wales got a call saying that he was needed in the holding room. He left with some other female doctor and that's as much as we know. Soon after, you guys heard us and broke us out. And here we are now."
"But what was with those long containers. The one's that had people floating in them," Justin butted in.
"From what we know," Will sighed. "That's what they were going to do to us. Some type of experiment where they can test our blood or something. They insert a needle into your neck, which kills you minutes later. They throw your body in the tube and that's the end of it."
          With nobody knowing what to say after that, the group fell silent for the remainder of the walk. Taking endless lefts and rights, they felt tired from this seemingly endless torture.
"I think this is it. Or as close as we can get underground," Imere spoke up. She stopped at a rusted ladder. Everyone stayed silent waiting for someone to make a move.
"I guess I'll go first," Justin said matter-of-factly. Stepping up slowly, Justin wiped the slimy substance encasing the ladder rungs on the side of his shirt. Pushing up the sewer lid a crack, Justin squinted to see the new surroundings. It had grown much darker outside during their long, underground journey.
"I can't see much," he announced. "It's really dark outside. Brendan, hand me your flashlight."
          Peering out with the light, Justin looked all around, not seeing anything. He pushed up even more and slid the heavy metal lid to the side. It skittered against the pavement, and he climbed out to his feet. Breathing in the fresh air was a relief. He did a quick look around before bending down to help the others out.
     "Oh! Clean air, I've missed you," Grace joked.
     "3179 Templewood Road. We're here guys," Imere chuckled. "My brain hasn't completely given up on me yet."
          The house standing before them posed a drastic change from what they're used too. A flawlessly clean marble exterior spotted with large windows composed the outside of the mansion sized building.
     "Woah," Brendan said. "This is gonna be cool."
          They passed through a tall, iron gate and skittered down a short walkway, anxious to get inside to safety. Justin slammed the door knocker three times as loud as he could. He looked around frantically, half expecting to see some Government official right behind them.
     "Please. Come on! Hurry up and answer," Justin begged.
          Suddenly, the door swung open and the group rushed inside, pleased to finally be in the unknown location. The interior of the house was exquisite with its design. They stood in a humongous two-story living area with leather-pleated furniture placed throughout. Beautiful paintings hung on the pearly white walls and red, velvety drapes covered the long, bay windows at the front. An intricately designed wooden staircase sat before them with a walkway overlooking the first story.
     "Welcome all," a deep voice bellowed from the walkway above them. "I can see you all are already loving it here," he chuckled. He was an older gentleman, presumably late seventies. He wore a navy blue suit and dark black shoes. His white hair was combed over his freckled forehead and bushy eyebrows sat atop his deep blue eyes. He stood on the walkway, studying the group below him. Gripping the rail sturdily, the man began to descend the staircase to join the others.
     "Ooh, you all stink," the man said once he grew close enough to take in their rank smell.
     "I'm sorry sir. It's been a long day. We don't mean to intrude," Justin whimpered with his head down.
     "Look at someone when you talk to them Justin. And don't worry! I've been expecting you for quite some time now. It's nice to finally see my grandson after all this time," he said.
     "Your what," Justin stuttered. He stared blankly at the man, struggling to accept the new information.
     "All will make sense in due time, my son. Now everyone! Go upstairs and get yourself cleaned up and meet me in the basement."