21

first date

first date

"DID ELENA KNOW ANYTHING?"

"No, she was useless, to absolutely no one's surprise," Athena rolls her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest as she and Damon slow to a stop beside Stefan.

Stefan furrows his brows, looking at his brother questioningly. "Then why did you make me meet you at the school?"

Damon's eyes flash with hostility as he glances around the dimmed hallways, and the tiled floors mopped clean for another few hours. "Elena wasn't helpful, but Jeremy was. Turns out, he wrote a report on the journal, and not-so-innocent Mr. Saltzman wanted to see it."

"Mr. Saltzman," Stefan echoes in disbelief. "Our history teacher?"

Athena nods, slapping her hands down on her tight-clad thighs. "Hence why we're at the school. I say we just go in there and kill him, and take the journal. What's another dead history teacher?"

Damon leans over and flicks her on the forehead, making her bat his hand away with a glare. "I'm not murdering another teacher until I know he has what I want,"

"Well, I think he's weird and I think he's lying about what he knows. Why else would he have followed us the other night at the dance?"

Stefan nods, agreeing with Athena. "What do we do if he has the journal? What does that mean?"

"If he has the journal, then we have to assume knows about vampires, ergo he knows about us," Damon gestures between him and Stefan, and Athena narrows her eyes.

"If he knows about you two, then he most likely knows about vervain, right?"

Stefan's eyes widen, but he nods slowly, silently urging her on.

"And if he thinks you two are vampires, is he assuming I'm one as well? Let's say Damon couldn't compel him because he had vervain somewhere, and he saw me kill that vampire at the dance. I mean, if he thinks we're all vampires, what does he want?"

"How do we know he wants anything?" Stefan tries to reason, though shifts uncomfortably at the thought of them being targeted.

Damon purses his lips and sighs through clenched teeth. "The council. He wants to out us to the Council, most likely."

Athena's eyes widened. "Something he can't do without Jonathan Gilbert's journal to prove you're vampires,"

"Shit," Damon mutters, rolling his eyes frustratedly.

"I say we stick with my plan and just kill him, and take the journal back."

Stefan shakes his head. "If he's with the Council, or somehow trying to attack us, he's got to have some sort of backup plan. He's got to give the journal back to Jeremy eventually, but he'll need it for the Council. He could make copies of it or something."