Death is Weird

My foot- no, feet. Something solid underneath.

The fog lifted, dropping me out of the darkness and I was.. still lost. This place isn't familiar.

Where would someone go when they are dead?

My hands reached to my chest, where a wound should've been.. but it felt fine, like I'd never been..

I pushed the thought aside. My skin and clothes were crusty with dirt and blood, but I wasn't injured.

Death is weird. 

The floorboard creeks as I shifted my weight a little, looking around.

Dim lights, neglected furniture and bloodstains.. not a great sign, but what's worse than dying?

"This place is gross.." I muttered to myself.

My throat felt so dry I was surprised when dust didn't sprinkle out of my mouth as I spoke. I choked a little on the dryness which doubled as an alert of my intrusion.

Something across the room moved, blankets on the couch, no something under them. It stood and whipped the blankets in a flush, there's.. a little grunting?

Did I wake someone up!?

The stranger screamed in fright. I staggered back against the wall as the blanket hit the floor. I didn't speak, mostly hoping I could just turn invisible and not have to explain myself. How could I?

I saw a man, scruffy, trying to catch his breath. He studied me intensely for a second and then relaxed. Clearly didn't find me threatening,  which I took with mild offense.

Maybe I am invisible?

"So who the fuck are you?" He spits out.

Nope, definitely not invisible.

I felt my cheeks get hot. I hate being on the spot and I hate confrontations.

"WHO ARE YOU!?" he roared.

My brain scrambled for words but was cut off by the door crashing open, quickly followed by a voice.. familiar?

"What's the problem!?" Impatience, pain.

My eyes adjusted to the new light let in from the open door to see what I most stubbornly refused to believe.. Buff-guy.

Which probably also meant.. the Butcher was here! 

My knees buckled as the dread and pain from my death washed over me. Assailed by my own memories. Still, I couldn't let it happen again.

Survival instincts powered my body as I launched myself towards the open door, willing to push through anything to get there.

But I'm quite small in comparison to Buff-guy, and he intercepted me. We fell into the wall and slumped to the ground.

I rebounded a second faster and was on my feet, but crashed even harder as Buff-man found a grip on my ankle.

He pulled me back and then up, spun me around and into a chokehold. His breathing was angry. He put his face next to mine as his arm squeezed tighter.

"We DIED! Because YOU! couldn't listen to me.."
His arm flexed and I was able to choke in a short breath.

A different voice spoke up.

"King! Go easy, look at him. He's clueless." The freshly-woken man sighed and dropped his arms from his head where they had been resting.

King let go of me with a hard push and a  tisk. He stood between me and the door. He annoyed me.

Coughing and rubbing my neck, anger forced me to speak even though I knew it would hurt.

"He was there! He watched me die!" I said, pointing at King.

Stupid name.

We had a brief stare down. I know he didn't technically kill me, but he did leave me there to die on a hook while that guy with the messed up face caressed me.

King gnarled his face and started to say something but the other guy cut him off, coming to stand between us in the small room. It was damp in here and smelled like sweat.

"Whoa whoa ok now, I know he's a total asshole." The man gestures to King with his thumbs.

"But David isn't a killer. Nobody is in this neighborhood. You're safe!" His arms were out, turning like he's presenting something grand while standing in a tiny, messy room.

Neighborhood? My head began spinning. Flashes of metal, memories of horrible squishing sounds and feeling hot and cold at the same time.

The darkness came back, the fog covered me instantly and returned me to nothingness.

It's a relief, really. But it didn't last. Soon I felt solid ground under my feet, heard the crackling of a campfire.

I turn to my right in time to see a cloud of black fog drop David out next to me. What is this game?