No Place Like Home

Melody's life with Diego hadn't been a luxurious one, but she wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

For the next 10 years, Diego served as a father-figure for the girl. From helping her with her homework to being a shoulder to cry on after her first heartbreak, Diego was the only thing that Melody ever needed and vice versa.

Despite keeping her out of the family business, Diego did teach Melody self defense and how to safely use her powers in case she ever needed it.

   One of the perks of living in a gym is that they always had access to the equipment, so they would train every Saturday morning. It became a tradition of sorts.

When Melody graduated as the valedictorian of her high school, something Diego would brag about to anyone who would listen, she went to the local university on a full ride.

Leading up to Melody's acceptance, Diego had been stressed beyond belief, fearing that he wouldn't be able to afford to send his sister to her dream school.

When he found out that she got a full ride, he jumped up in glee, feeling a tremendous weight being lifted off his shoulders.

Melody was now 20 and finishing her sophomore year. Although she lived on campus, she visited her brother every weekend and would have lunch with him at least once a week, finding it difficult to be apart from her brother for too long.

Diego would never admit this, but he always looked forward to the days when he would see Melody. He was happy to watch her grow, but he couldn't help the loneliness he felt when she left.

During one of her weekend visits, she was packing up to go back to school, while the tv played in the background.

"You have everything?" Diego asked as he looked around the tiny room for anything Melody could have forgotten.

"Yep, I've got everything." Melody said with a smile. "What about your hair brush? You're always forgetting that."

"Got that."

"And your toothbrush? You don't want to forget-"
Diego began, but the girl quickly interrupted him with a laugh.

"I have everything, Dad." Melody joked, earning an eye roll from her brother.

As they were about to leave, Diego went to turn off the tv but stopped abruptly, turning up the volume with a shocked expression.

"Di, what is it?" Melody asked worriedly as she approached the older man. When he didn't answer she followed his gaze to the television, with a look of disbelief spread across her face.

   "Sir Reginald Hargreeves, eccentric billionaire and adventurer found dead in his home this morning. We have yet to confirm the cause of death, but our sources tell us that it was a heart attack. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and..."

The reporter began, but Melody tuned out the rest of the broadcast. Diego watched her closely, unsure of how she would react to the sudden news.

He knew that Melody despised their father as much as he did, but she was more forgiving than he was. She had gotten over the resentment that she felt towards the man, something Diego thought he could never do.

"Wow, I can't believe it. The old man is actually...gone." Melody said, unsure of how she felt about the matter.

"Are you okay, Mel?" Diego asked cautiously, as he stared at her intently, searching for an answer.

The girl merely shook her head before a tear slowly slipped down her cheek. At that Diego pulled her into a warm embrace, hoping to take all of the pain away.

"Hey, it's okay." Diego soothed as he rubbed a gentle hand through her hair. Melody eventually pulled away and wiped the tears from her eyes before plastering on a pained smile.

"I don't know why I'm upset. I mean he was a terrible father, but...he was still our dad. I feel like we owe it to him to be at least a little..."

"Hey, we don't owe him anything," Diego interrupted. "We never needed him before and we don't need him now. We have each other and that's more than enough." He reassured her and she nodded her head in agreement before giving him another quick hug.

"We should probably go back to the Academy." Melody recommended and Diego sighed, knowing that she was right.

"What about school? Are you okay with missing a few days?" Diego asked worriedly as he turned the tv off.

"Yeah, I'll just send them an email when we get to the Academy. I'm sure they'll understand...well all of them except Professor Donahugh." Melody laughed, knowing how strict her english professor was about attending every class.

"Let me know if he gives you a hard time." Diego said protectively and Melody rolled her eyes.

"Oh yeah, and what are you going to do?" Melody teased as they headed out of their room and to the car.

"I have my ways." Diego joked with a smirk and the two allowed their laughter to get the better of them, enjoying a moment of bliss before the awkward tension that would soon come.

Melody packed her bags into the trunk before hoping in the passenger seat, beside Diego. The two gave each other a knowing look as Diego pulled onto the street.

"No place like home." He joked as they neared the Academy.

A/N: Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this chapter! New one coming soon.