10. Halloween

Hi! This chapter needs no summary because it doesn't follow past events, but it rather shows a little more depth to the character's personalities. I'll add a summary of chapter 9 in the next chapter (: Don't forget to leave a vote (and a comment if you fancy)!

Warning: this chapter BROKE me ok go on reading

*

It was the morning of the 31st of October and the sound of the fallen leaves that covered the otherwise green grass being crushed by the students' feet welcomed them as they made their way towards their Herbology or Care of the Magical Creatures classes. The wind was softly blowing and painting a brown and orange image in the air, and the faint sounds of the murmurs leading up to the castle completed the autumnal scenery. Inside the school, the decorations were as sinister as ever: there were pumpkins every few metres, the silver armours scaring students every now and then with eerie voices that came from their hollow insides and torches that led up to the Great Hall, which was a sight to behold. Bats were flying behind the professors' table, skeletons were dancing near the walls and the ceiling had been bewitched to display a thunderstorm, despite the beautiful blue skies that could be seen through the windows. There were a few students still having breakfast, but their plates were covered with special food for the occasion: waffles in the shape of bats, toasts smeared with a green avocado paste that resembled vomit and red apple juice that looked like blood inside their cups.

Halloween was not only the day in which the best food was served in the Great Hall, but also the day when the best pranks took place; Fred Weasley knew that very well, as he casually flew across the corridors, trying not to raise any suspicions.

Once he made sure no one was around, he went through the wall and into one of the broom cupboards on the fifth floor. There, waiting for him, was his partner in crime, Peeves. Once they saw each other, they grinned broadly, as they were about to set in motion their big prank for the day.

"Are you ready, Freddie?"

"Oi, Eddie," he answered. "It was way more fun when you called me Fart Weezy back when I was a student."

Peeves laughed at him. "We're partners now. Freddie and Eddie. But I guess I could call you Farty if you really miss it," he said as he stuck his tongue out.

"Nah, it's alright mate. I'll leave your bright nicknames for the students," Fred replied. "Alright, is it there?"

Peeves didn't have to reply, because as soon as Fred asked, one of the boxes started shifting uncontrollably.

"Wicked," Fred answered with a grin. "Are you sure it's a Boggart and not some other sort of creature?"

"Yes, Freddie, I'm sure. But we can take a look just in case," the poltergeist suggested.

Fred nodded and with that, Peeves leant forward and opened the lid. They waited for a few minutes but Fred didn't notice any changes. He turned to his side to ask Peeves whether this was some kind of prank, but he saw the poltergeist's face lose its usual grin and go a shade paler.

"What? What is it Peeves?" Fred asked, starting to get a little worried seeing as his friend had never looked so scared in the entire time he'd known him.

"I—There's— The Bloody Baron holding an axe!" he answered and tried hiding behind Fred, before noticing it was of no use since he was transparent.

"What are you talking about? There's no one here!" the redhead answered.

"Yes, you bloody idiot! The Boggart! Please make him change, I can't stand it anymore."

Fred was in an extremely confused state. Why couldn't he see the Boggart? He unsuccessfully tried to move around, in hopes of catching the Boggart's attention and trying to get it to reveal itself in front of him. But no matter what he did, he couldn't see anything besides the terrified poltergeist.