so happy for you.

Sage had a raging headache.

"Hehe, Michael, you're so funny." 

No matter what kind of white, brown, pink, blue, fucking purple noise she put on, or how loud her music was, or how hard she tried to drown out her mom's laugh, it would always get louder. 

She was on the verge of tears. It was 3 am, and she had school tomorrow. Sage was going to America in a few days, and she just wanted to fucking sleep.

Soon, she had had enough.

Sage shoved the comforter off of her warm body and began stomping down the stairs in her oversized hoodie and nike shorts and into the living room where Bella Green sat. 

"Sage, what are you doing awake—"

Sage huffed her chest. "Mom." She inhaled. "I cannot sleep because you're talking and giggling so loud. Please, lower your voice or end the call. It's 3 am."

Bella's eyebrows knitted together and she stood. "Excuse me, Sage Ingrid? Who do you think you're talking to?"

"Mom." Sage said in a pleading tone, "Please. I can't sleep. I have school tomorrow. You're giving me a headache and I just want to sleep. Please just end the call."

A beat of silence. A tap of a computer. And silence again.

"You need to learn to watch your tone, Sage Green. I am talking to my boyfriend and he doesn't need to listen to your nagging. I am the adult, and you are the child. Apologize right now." 

Sage's eyebrows went together. Anger rose in her lungs and she lashed. "No," Sage scoffed. "You're giggling like a crow who just found a whole bag of bread!" 

"Why can't you just be happy for me?" Bella shouted.

"Mom," Sage inhaled slowly. Stay calm. "I am happy for you. But it's 3 am. I have school tomorrow, mom, and I'm tired. I have a headache. I just want to sleep. Please just let me sleep. You can talk to Michael all day tomorrow, I just want to sleep."

"Me and your father raised you to be respectful and you're not being very respectful right now." Bella gritted her teeth.

"Please don't mention dad, mom." Sage begged softly. 

"Keep your attitude up and I'll send you to your dads."