Chapter One: Spies and Butterflies

Rafal Pov:

Rafal quickly kissed Sophie on his way out of the tower. He did it quickly because he wasn't so sure that she would allow him to kiss her. Earlier they had sorta fought over her training methods. Rafal knew Sophie was not one to let something go so easily. The coldness in her voice scared him but made him love her even more.

Earlier: 

"Think I'll put Beatrix against Hook," Sophie said, perched in the windowsill, as she scribbled onto a piece of parchment.

Rafal eyed her across his chamber as he changed shirts. "The point of training is to prepare the Dark Army for war. Not batter young students, who won't be on the front line."

"That wasn't my decision," Sophie murmured.

"Our students are Evil's future, Sophie. We have to protect them until they're fully trained—"

"And that's what I'm doing. I'm training them."

"By breaking their bones and spirits? I'm not sure they see it that way."

"I'm not sure I care," Sophie murmured.

"Says the girl who used to care desperately what other people thought of her."

Sophie looked up. "I care what you think."

The young School Master smiled. "I think you're forgetting that once upon a time, you were in their shoes."

Sophie frowned and went back to her list. "Actually, I don't care what you think."

Rafal was about to say something, but Sophie preempted him. "You put me in charge, didn't you?" she clipped, without looking up. "If you have doubts, then replace me."

She heard the young School Master sigh, but he spoke nothing more.

Now:

Rafal ran his fingers across his lips, as he flew to the schools, remembering how Sophie's lips felt against his. A smile grew over his face. He loved his queen so much. If his sisters saw him kiss Sophie they would probably faint in surprise. Ever since they were little Alpa, Bethna, and Omeida had teased him about finding love. Rhian did too.

 For a moment Rafal felt a twinge if sadness but he quickly brushed it off. Evil never felt guilty about their kills. And certainly not its master.

The young schoolmaster landed before the entrance of the school. He saw Aric Lesso run towards him.

"Lord Aric, what is it?" Rafal asked.

"My mother.." Aric started, almost looking sad. "Could I kill her before the war is over?"

Rafal shook his head in answer.

He didn't like the dean but Lady Lesso was crucial to their war effort. They could not afford to lose the dean even if she was a sniveling old woman. He would only get rid of the dean if she was  working against him. He was fairly sure she wasn't but the facts that she always locked the door to her room during training sessions, chose Dean Dovey's room, and when the kids filed out the room none of them looked like they had fought had drawn his suspiciousness. 

But he'd dropped by her room during sessions and saw that Sophie was talking to the dean so Sophie probably had it covered. He had eavesdropped though and heard snippets of their conversations. One word had caught his attention and the word was the word spies.

Was their spies in the school? If there was, why hadn't either females told him about it?Was it because things were out of hand and they wanted to do it themselves?  Or maybe neither told him because the issue was already modified? Either way he had to find out what this whole spy issue was about know.

Rafal's thoughts wandered to how Sophie had acted earlier. The thoughts quickly switched to how Sophie was distracted on her first day of teaching, how she missed lunch, how the dean and Sophie had talked in Lady Lesso's office. Then to before she left him to get Tedros's kiss, how she had the name on her hand.  And then to the issue now about spies. Sophie had hid a lot of things from him. All the secrets she had hidden from him since she had taken his ring, he had mostly solved out. But a few oof them he hadn't.