Chapter 12: I Put Ointment On Like Sunscreen

I woke up feeling like shit and couldn't move anything without being hit with pain. I heard a gasp, and my eyes opened slowly. I looked around the best I could and saw a grey ceiling. Odd, my room wasn't painted. I turned my head a bit, biting back a yelp as it sent red hot pain into my skull.

There sitting in a chair by the bed, was Annabeth. I yelped out loud this time and tried to scramble away in surprise but ended up just slipping and falling on my arm in pain.

"Hey Percy, I didn't mean to scare you. Are you alright?" she spoke with such compassion that I immediately felt at peace. Wait, shit, school.

"What time is it?"

"3 pm."

Shit, I missed a whole day of school. I had about twoish hours until I had to go back home to Gabe. I noticed that my hoodie was still on, and I only had an ice pack on my head. She must've not wanted to look for injuries.

"Um, I didn't know if you were comfortable with me searching for injuries, so I just gave you a place to sleep.

I immediately felt gratitude towards her. She didn't invade my privacy.

"I can see that you're in serious pain. Do you want me to help you with your injuries?" she asked so formally it was like she was scared of scaring me away even though I was the one that called her.

"Um, no one is gonna come in, right? I assume that we're at your house?" I wanted to make sure I had to be certain no one was going to barge in.

"Yea, we're kind of home alone right now, and yea, this is my house."

I nodded. "Promise not to tell anyone?"

"Promise"

I took a deep breath. Annabeth watched me as I steeled myself. I can trust her. I can. Closing my eyes, I slowly took my hoodie off my head and heard an intake of breath as she saw the glass embedded in my arms. Wincing, I removed my shirt and heard another sharp intake of breath.

I opened my eyes and saw Annabeth with her hand over her mouth as she looked at me. I looked away and winced as I rubbed the back of my neck.

"Holy shit," I heard her mutter. I heard her scramble out of her chair, and I grit my teeth as I realized she probably ran off. Not wanting to see me again, I felt my heart break a little bit. Then I felt a hand on my cheek that pushed lightly to turn my head. I looked over and saw Annabeth with a sad look in her eyes.

"I'm going to go get the first aid kit, don't go anywhere, got it?" she said with such sternness I wondered if this was the same person who was soft and kind to me during our tutoring sessions. I nodded to her, and she let out a sigh of relief. Then she walked out of the room and heard the faint footsteps echoing through the empty house.

I looked around for my phone and looked at the time. 3:24 pm, almost an hour and a half till I had to leave. I felt dread curl into my gut as I realized that I would have to leave Annabeth to go home to Gabe. I clenched my teeth in frustration. I really didn't want to go back just to be beaten up again. But then again, I just had to keep it up for a few more months then I was home free.

I unclenched my teeth as Annabeth walked back in holding a kit. She came over and lightly pushed my shoulders till I laid down flat. I didn't realize how much my ribs ached from sitting up until I let them relax.

Annabeth hovered over my torso and asked quietly, "Can I unwrap these?" she gestured to the bandages I sloppily put on a few days ago.

"Yea, just um, leave the ones on my right wrist," she nodded and didn't pry, which I am eternally grateful for. She hadn't asked who, or why, or when, or how long; she just wanted to help. I knew that not knowing was probably eating her up inside, and her curiosity was probably starting to get to its capacity. Still, I wasn't ready to share yet. The only reason she saw these wounds and scars was because I couldn't move, and I was locked out of the house.