Lysis

The apartment is silent, as it usually is, and has been for a long time.

And Katsuki lies in the center of the empty living room, and has been for a long time.

He's learned over the course of a year that in order to stay sane in his mind, he's forced to cut off his thinking. The need for some stimulation is constantly bothering him, turning his insides out, and making him want to pull his hair out. Which he's done, by the way, but it's always grown back within the next instant.

He's pulled off the clothes on his body and watched them materialize back onto his frame. He's bent his finger back so far that it snaps, but by the time he blinks, the pain and disfigurement is gone, and he's once again engulfed in a solemn emptiness.

If you're immortal, you're luckier than him. Because at least for a while you're happy or have something to look forward to in life. You may start a family, kiss your wife goodbye, hug your children, go to the store. At least you're seen by people.

But for Katsuki, he's nothing but a pocket of empty space.

He is only a soul. A peaceful one that floats around the same old apartment he's lived in for two years. From what Katsuki knows, he realized he died a year ago. He had to watch his phone vibrate on his bedside, observe his body darken and bruise on his bed. Possibly the worst thing he'd have to go through was watching his mother come into his apartment four days later to find him lifeless in his room.

He tried his hardest to keep it together after that. Seeing a scene like that was an experience that had been burned into the back of his eyelids. Having to see his own body rot in his bed and be taken out on a stretcher, his mom and dad sobbing beside his body, was something that deeply affected him.

After that, it was silence for the longest time.

He sat in the middle of the living room as teams of people moved the furniture out of the space. He watched them take the food in his cupboards, wrap up his mattress, disinfect, and disappear. Even now, the compressions in the carpet of where the pegs of his couch once stood were still visible.

There was the same dead cockroach sitting in his bathroom. It was always dark, except for the sun streaming through the blinds. And Katsuki, man, he's just waiting desperately for something to happen.

He's thought about a lot of things. He sits out on the empty balcony sometimes, and when he falls from atop the railing, he gets placed right back into the same apartment. He's wondered if this is Hell. Or if it's Heaven. Or if it's purgatory, or if it's just what happens to everyone when they die. He's thinking, and he's thinking. Perhaps this is purgatory. Perhaps this is his punishment for being a shitty person to the kids in his grade. There are so many things that could've happened.

But these thoughts are just thoughts. They kind of trail off from there, and so Katsuki has learned how to ignore them.

He's lying in the middle of the living room when something finally happens.

The door opens and there's a couple of people chattering to each other, one of them being a retail woman dressed in a pencil skirt and blazer. The other is a young man with bright eyes and an even brighter smile, looking around the apartment with very obvious interest. He's nodding along to what she's saying before interrupting her excitedly.

"The carpeting and paint is brand new, since no one has lived here sinc-"

"I want it! I'm getting this place." He says, beaming smile incredibly bright. The woman looks at him with shocked delight, tilting her head. "Alright, then! Well let's look around and we can discuss prices, shall we?" She says politely, and he nods like a puppy, allowing her to guide him around the small apartment.