[| • chapter 1 • |]

Murder Cases
Chapter One

Reese p.o.v

My eyes slowly open and adjust to the darkness of my room. Something woke me up. Something was wrong. I sat up, trying not to panic. I reached over for some pills , only to remember I moved them downstairs. Damn you attempt to not rely on Ativan for everything.
I tried to lay back down and fall asleep but something, something was off. I decided this qualified as an "emergency" (as I had told myself Ativan was for only) and started out of bed. I slid my bare legs out of the blankets and the movement caused my cat, Binx, to wake up and be an annoying little bitch. He meowed at me so I shushed him and kept going.
I slowly snuck down to the stairs and into the kitchen, not bothering to turn any lights on. I pull open the cupboard door when I hear something behind me. Something that's definitely not Binx. I grab a knife from the knife block and hide behind the counter. Someone is outside and is picking the door lock. I tense up, prepared to jump, and the door swings open. In walks a tall man with brown hair and brown eyes. He wears a white lab coat and in his hand he has a syringe. In my confusion and drowsiness I stand up to get a better look and he notices me.
He stops and stares at me, like a deer in the headlights, and then starts to speak, "I- uh," I don't hesitate before I scream and run at him. I aim the knife at his chest but he dodges and I graze his arm. He grabs my wrists and wrenches the knife from my hand, pushing me against the counter. He looks me up and my slight lack of clothing makes me embarrassed. He spins me around and holds the knife to my neck. I gasp, not moving a muscle, hoping he doesn't slit my throat, hoping I don't die.
"Don't move, don't say anything, don't call the police. I'll be back, someday." He lets me go and runs out the door, shutting the door behind him.
I stood there, shocked that a random man broke into my house, almost killed me and threatened to come back. No, not threatened, promised. He'll come back. For sure.
I couldn't help but notice that my hands were shaking like hell and my breathing was only growing heavier. I gripped the corner of the kitchen counter, shakily letting myself sit on the ground. I needed to process that...
I cupped my face with my hands. He looked familiar. Too familiar.. I've seen his face before..
-
After what felt like an hour on end, I felt comfortable enough to get my feet back on the ground.
I gripped the kitchen counter with both hands and lifted myself up. I sighed and snatched up my pills from the table.

Push down and turn clockwise. Pour as slowly as you can and put the extra behind. Grab the one in your hand and clutch it. Grab a glass and fill it to the near brim with water. Ready both hands. Pop the pill in your mouth and swallow it with the complimentary water. Good job.
P.S. Go figure out where you saw that man before, sleep can wait.

That's right, I need to find out where I saw him before. I steadied myself and, as quietly as I could, walked up the stairs and into my bedroom. I look to my right and see Binx sleeping peacefully on somewhere his bed isn't. And to my left I see my bed with my laptop resting on the floor next to it. I sat down on my bed, resting my back on the metal headboard. I shuffled a bit to grab my laptop. I struggled to get it without moving my legs but I managed. I get back into my elder, semi-comfortable position and open up my laptop, praying that it isn't dead or close to dead. The screen lit up my face.
22%
I sighed.
"Better than dead.." I mumbled. I don't really have anybody I really talk to anymore so I wouldn't be able to ask anyone. He could've been a kid from one of my schools.. "No.." I went to a public school in such a small place that it could be considered a private school. Not to mention I never been to Montana until I moved here a few years back.
On a completely random whim, I decided to check some news media. I looked to see if there was any pinned news, possibly deciding that the man was a wanted criminal.
Click
B.O.L.O.'s? Didn't that mean "Be on the lookout for" or something? Doesn't matter, search later.
Another click
I don't know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't the fact that there were 2 people on the B.O.L.O's. I don't often see anyone on them so, naturally, I got a bit more anxious than I already was. I scrolled down to see the sketches or pictures and the wanting reasonings.
...
He was a wanted criminal. Him and someone else. A wanted murderer and a wanted kidnapper. And I was a target for a murder. I read further on the B.O.L.O..
"After seeming to be caught, he ran off." ... "Make sure to frequently check your security cameras and, if possible, flash the lights to keep him away"
"Shit.." I thought aloud. I didn't have any security cameras installed. I never thought I would ever really need them, I grew up in a relatively safe area. I really need to get some installed soon. I got a notepad up on my desktop and wrote "SECURITY CAMERAS, GET THEM INSTALLED ASAP" and left it open for tomorrow me. I placed my laptop on my nightstand, plugged it in, and debated on sleeping or not.
Lights on. I'm turning all the lights on. Every room. I would rather have a high electricity bill than dying.
...
Actually, I don't know how true that is but it's rather safer than sorry. I proceeded to turn on every light in every room. After doing so, I felt just a tad bit safer and went back to my bedroom. I laid down on my bed and wrapped myself with my blanket. I, slowly but surely, fell asleep.
-
My body shifted as I squinted my eyes open. "Still alive..." I mumbled into my blanket. I tilted my head and forced my eyes open so I could check the time.
10:23ᴬᴹ
"..."
I only slept for 9 hours. Only. I wiggled myself out of my blanket, prying the blanket off of my body.
I've always had a problem with sleeping. My brain is always tired, so I usually average 12 hours of sleep every day. On rare occasions, there will be times where I'll pass out from fatigue. Yet, that only ever happened 7 times in my 25 years of life. It's not a great number but the ratio is okay.
At this point, I slugged my way over to my closet. I had work today... I worked for the FBI. It wasn't my first choice, but I got dragged into it by watching criminal documentaries and such. I was always interested in murder cases, specifically unsolved cases. I would love to investigate and hopefully solve them, but, "Case closed, it's in the past now," I thought aloud.
I've always hated the fashion I had to wear for work. I picked out a basic semi-formal outfit. A black, simple, sleek dress shirt and a black, slim fitting work pants, paired with an average, basic belt. I unbuttoned the shirt and put it on, buttoning it back up. I sat down on my bed to put on my pants since I had terrible balance.
As I was getting up, Binx jumped on my lap. Honestly, sometimes I forget he exists, and that was one of those times. I smiled and set him aside as I stood up. I opened my laptop, checking if i was charged or not and saw my aggressive late night notes.
"SECURITY CAMERAS, GET THEM INSTALLED ASAP"
That's right, the B.O.L.O.'s. I closed my laptop and snatched up both my laptop and phone. I exited my room and sped down the stairs. I set down my stuff on my kitchen island. Before I settled down on anything else, I bent down to the lower cabinets and grabbed out some dry cat food for Binx, since his food was running low. I stood back up, refilled his food, and didn't bother placing the bag back and just set it down near Binx's food bowl.
Work didn't technically start for me until 11:45ᴬᴹ, so I had around an hour to make some coffee and get to work. Which I started to work on. I put the coffee k-cup in the Keurig, grabbed a mug and put it where the coffee can dispense into somewhere safe to get the coffee started. I never usually eat breakfast, but this was a moment where I had enough to grab something small to eat. I rummaged through my pantry to find literally anything to eat. Bagels. Not my first choice, probably my second, but I rather eat now than later. I opened the bag and grabbed one. I put the bagel in between my teeth so I could tie the bag and put it back. I grabbed a knife and sliced the bagel in half.
At this point, my coffee was done dispensing, so I grabbed the mug and poured it into a travel mug. I quickly ate the two halves of the bagel. I grabbed my travel mug and approached my door. But before I went out, I grabbed my brown boots and sat down on the chair near me to put them on. After all that, I grabbed a formalesque dark olive jacket and put it on, not bothering to button it up. I grabbed my coffee, laptop, and my phone and exited my house.
I entered the driver's seat of my car and placed my mug in the cup holder and my phone and laptop on the passenger's seat. I buckled my seatbelt and started my car up, getting ready to drive to my workplace.
-
I parked my car in the parking lot of my workplace. I grabbed my laptop and phone, leaving my coffee for later, and exited my car. I opened the glass doors of the building and a wave of warm air hit me like it does every day. The warm vanilla scent of the office envelops me and I relax.  Even though it wasn't wet out, I wiped my shoes on the mat out front just in case. I grabbed my black gloves out from the pocket of my jacket and put them on as I made my way to the elevator.
-
I entered the room where my team's office was. As I gently and quietly closed the door, my boss approached me and smiled. He usually isn't the happiest, so I was quite confused since it wasn't a 'fake smile'. 
I smiled back. "You seem quite.. delighted today, Ethan."
He turned around and motioned for me to follow him as he walked towards his desk.

Third Person p.o.v

He sat down in his office chair and motioned for Reese to sit down. The other office team members were chatting away, either seeming to be tense or excited. Ethan handed Reese a paper file.
"I know you've been interested in murder cases and such, as it's a thing you've talked about here," Ethan said as he nudged Reese to inspect the case file. "And as of now, you can now get to investigate the case."
Reese cracked open the file and grabbed the first item in it.
"Jolene Ryans?" Reese said while reading the breakdown. "As in the pop star?"
Ethan smiled. "Indeed," He sat back in his chair. "The semi-famous local pop star has been murdered. What a shame.." He was being sarcastic.
"Her music wasn't even a good.." Reese mumbled. "No wonder she got slaughtered"
He shrugged. "Mediocre at best, but not quite the point here," He looked back at Reese, making eye contact. "The point is..." He stood up and walked behind Reese. He put his palms in her shoulders. "You finally get to investigate a case! Pretty new, eh?"
Reese tried to keep her composure and weakly smiled. "When do we investigate?"
"Today!" He happily retrieved his hands back. "12:30 to be exact. You'll have to read over the breakdown before, though" He pointed towards the file.
"Right!" She picked up the file and quickly walked over to her desk to read it over.