Chapter 25 - Of Laughs and Love

A/N: omg uwu thanks for 300 reads guys! S4 is coming this December and I CAN'T WAIT. I'll be dead. Anyways, enjoy the fluff. ^_^

-~•~-

[Naomi]

I felt Levi take a deep breath, as he laid his head on my shoulder, his arms still limply wrapped around my waist while we looked at Kenny in the amber sunset sky.

He let it all out slowly, as if finally letting go of something heavy that's been burdening him for the past years of his melancholy life.

I just sat there, listening to him if he ever wanted to say something, because for the past few minutes we've been sitting here, watching his dead uncle pass away, he seldom spoke. When he did, he just cursed, and cursed. I kept my hand in support of his arms, the other running down his back softly.

After another second of his heavy sigh, he sat up, and stood straight once more. "Let's go get some scouts to bury him, love."

"Are you ready to do that?" I asked, looking up at him from my spot on the grass. He looked down at me with eyes still smeared with emptiness, and offered me a hand. I took it and stood up with him. He didn't let go just yet.

"What else are we gonna do with him other than that?" He said bitterly. "I don't think anyone would like to come to his funeral."

Without a word, I just followed him as he walked away, my fingers still intertwined with his. His hands were really rough and veined, but they were cleaner than any other man's pair of hands I've ever seen. And they fit mine better than Bertholdt's ever did.

Levi and I just walked silently back to the patch where we left Atticus, by the trees. Finn got seriously injured after the operation at Orvud, and so I had to let him stay by the stables to get looked after by a real veterinarian.

As we approached the raven black horse, I smiled softly at him, and pet his dark mane. He neighed happily to see me.

"He'd been on edge not seeing you lately." Levi said, as he took out his hand for my support up the saddle. It wasn't at all as easy when you're wearing a dress.

"Really? How did you calm him down?" I asked, sitting down, watching him mount his horse in front of me. It was only then that I realized he used he instead of it when referring to Atticus.

I looked at him from the back, settling my one-finger grip on his belt buckle. "I called him by the name you gave him. Whenever he hears Atticus, it probably reminds him of you."

"That's flattering." I smiled faintly, as he hitched his horse, galloping towards the path on the way back to the Stohess District.

As we covered distance in the field by the minute, I let myself just rest, put my emotions at an ease, and stop thinking for a while. Nobody quite pauses to appreciate the beauty of the surroundings anymore, the trees, the air, the sky, the sun. I'd take every chance I get to just live here in simplicity, with a lot of books and a lot of friends.

"Reminds me," Levi perked up, raising his voice to go over the sound of the heavy gallops, "Do something about your hair already."

"O-Of course." I answered, narrowing my eyes at the searing of the ember afterglow. "I'm going to the hairdressers when we arrive home."

"You don't know how to cut your own hair?" He asked, his tone seemingly implying that it was a survival skill needed to be prioritized.

"No,.. I don't. What's the matter with that?" I asked back.