Twenty-Three

Ainsley had to try on her dress for the ball and she made her way towards the room. Richard walked up from behind her taking her hand and pulling her away to an empty room. "What are you doing? I'm busy. I have a dress to try on." Ainsley complained, taking her hand out of his as he shut the door to the room.

"You are going to talk to me." Richard demanded and Ainsley just shrugged her shoulders.

"We talked."

"Not since Caroline showed up. Not really." Ainsley sighed looking down and Richard walked over to her. "Look, if I could kick her out, I would. But this close to the coronation, my mom doesn't want any bad press."

"I get it." Ainsley sighed, not looking up at him.

"And you're worried."

Ainsley finally met his gaze. "That she can give you everything you ever wanted?"

Richard stared at her for a moment, remembering the conversation he had with Caroline before. "Who told you that?"

Ainsley crossed her arms. "I was coming to work things out with you and I heard you two talking."

"And I'm guessing you didn't stay to hear me tell her I wasn't interested?" Richard asked and Ainsley lightly shook her head. He walked closer to her putting his hands on her cheeks. "Hey," He looked into her eyes, finally getting to be as close to her as he wanted for days. "I know what you are thinking. She doesn't mean anything to me." His thumbs brushed against her cheeks. "You do." Ainsley paused for a moment thinking about what he had to say. Richard looked at the hint of shock on her face. "What?"

"I believe you." Ainsley said softly and Richard smiled at her.

"Good." Richard softly kissed her lips and Ainsley felt her heart racing again. She pulled at his clothes pulling him back to the couch into the room.

~~~

Ainsley walked out of her dressing room in her dress for the ball. Sienna was in a robe and Katie was in her dress already. "How do I look?" Ainsley asked looking down at her long dress before walking over to the mirror to get a better look.

"You look amazing!" Katie stated and Sienna smiled.

"I hope Richard doesn't pass out." Sienna stated and Ainsley laughed covering her warm cheeks.

"Stop it." Ainsley said looking back at her reflection. She wasn't used to being so dressed up. She wasn't used to any of this.

People gathered in the ballroom. Katie danced with Blake on the dance floor. Sienna was drinking on the sidelines talking with an older woman. Ainsley stood at a table eating an appetizer that passed on one of the trays. One walked past and Ainsley stopped them. "Wait." With a mouth full of food, she grabbed two more of the tooth picks. "Just one more." She spoke with full cheeks before grabbing one more before letting the waiter walk away.

"You look beautiful." Ainsley heard Richard's voice looking over to see him.

"Me?" She asked, trying not to make it obvious her mouth was full. "They're really good." She motioned towards the food in her hands.

Richard chuckled, taking one from her hand and trying it. Richard nodded at the taste. "You're right." He set the appetizer on her plate. "Dance with me."

Ainsley chuckled and set her food down with his. "I have two left feet."

"I'll take my chances." Richard held out his hand and Ainsley took it following him to the dance floor. Richard spun her around before pulling her close to him. "I want you to stay." Richard said and Ainsley looked up at him confused.