CHAPTER THREE

L U C I A

L U C I A

IT'S HARD TO WAKE UP FROM A NIGHTMARE, WHEN YOU'RE NOT EVEN ASLEEP. Your body paralysed in utter fear, as you watch over the abysmal darkness enveloping your senses. There's no one but you in an empty room, drowned in the chaos of it all. No one to even hear the silent echoes of your screams.

No one to help you from the dirty monsters.

Of all the things you choose in life, you don't choose nightmares. Nightmares choose you. They can smell your fears. They wrap you around with their evil arms, sucking you into an unconsciousness of looming shadows and dark thoughts. Escape was inevitable, unless you're forced to wake up from the trauma.

I had it bad when I was young. When the abuse started, I couldn't control what appeared in my head. Just like I said, you're paralysed in the utmost fear. Power is no longer in your hold, whilst you endure the terrors taunting your mind.

I would recall the times when I used to wake up, drenched in my own sweat. My mother ushered to my side and whispered in my ears.

"They're not real baby." She cooed. "Open your eyes and watch them become temporary." She consoled me whilst I cried in her lap. I wish they were temporary. I wish they didn't feel too real. I wish my mother was here to help me from this nightmare, because now I'm all alone and scared.

I wondered if she was watching over me now? If she pitied me, while I remained helpless, and captive in the arms of my kidnapper. I ran away from harm, only to end up in even more danger. Would she help me find a way out of this nightmare too? Navigate me to safety?

Please help me mom.

Tiredness swallowed me as a whole. A throbbing pain intensified on the side of my head, as if a train ran over it. Blotches of spots covered my vision, as I groaned at the sight of the yellow light bulb, glaring at my direction. I couldn't peel my eyes open without being blinded by the lights. 

Slowly, my senses were flooding in. 

I didn't recognise the room I was in.

The first thing I noticed, was that my hand were strapped against the bed frames, in brown leather straps. They painfully encircled my wrists, like a snake around it's prey. Red bruises blossomed around the strap. It was insufferably tight, almost cutting off the flow of my bloodstream.

All of a sudden, I could feel the familiar pain I once endured. The bruises, blisters, cuts. I was no stranger to abuse, and I had no doubts that I would suffer even more worse with my killer.