Chapter Five

Alessandra Drakkon

Queen of the Drakkon Empire

"We're about to enter the Solveig system." Trin reports, even though I could see for myself that we were indeed approaching the foreign system. It was strange looking at it from the other side, it certainly looked dangerous. A pulsing red cloud seemed to surround the system, I wasn't even sure if we would be able to pass through it, if the system was even there anymore or if this noxious cloud had destroyed it all. "Our instruments can't penetrate the cloud, something is blocking them."

"We go forward." I could tell from the wary glances that they were just as unsure about this cloud as I was, but they were trusting me to lead them true. I could only hope that I wouldn't fail them. I watch as the pulsing red cloud rolls over the windows, leaving us with no visuals or instruments. I felt as if we all held our breath, wondering what will happen.

And then we were through, I watch the red clouds roll over the windows and disappear behind us. Showing casing the small system before us. It was devastating. I could see bits of my father's ship still floating around, no bodies thankfully, I'm not sure if I really wanted to truly know what space does to a body. Then there were the large chunks of a planet. It was still mostly together, held there by its own gravity no doubt, but it was in pieces, all the land molten rock. No water or greenery in sight. It seemed as if it had been the only possible habitable planet here.

"The other two planets in this system are gas giants, unable to sustain human life." Jaks says, alerting me that our systems were back up and running thankfully, we would not have gotten very far without them.

"Your majesty?" I turn over to East as he stares at his display in confusion. "Based on my scan, the planet that was blown up was actually a moon, there is no evidence that it ever had life." I didn't understand what he meant, had we come to the wrong place, were my ancestors never here, but then why was my father's ship here, why had he returned if none of these planets were capable of sustaining life.

"What do you mean East? There has to have been life on it at some point, or else my father wouldn't have returned here." He swipes his hand and projects his display out onto the viewing window so we can all see what he can.

"Yes, that's what I am trying to tell you, I believe that this moon here, is one of three, for this small planet here, moons don't have to be smaller than the planet they're orbiting. That is a common misconception, but based on my scans, I detect life on this planet. Whether it is your father or the Solveig clan I can't tell you, there is an electrical storm going over the entire planet right now, it is not allowing me to get a clear reading. I believe the person who was aiming to destroy the Solveig's mistook this large moon for a planet that they were inhabiting, the moon could have been host to bacteria and may have been reaching the stage where it became inhabitable to higher life forms, but it hadn't reached it yet when it was blown up. Your mother's people may very well still be alive. We would have to get closer to find out, which I am afraid we would have to use the transport shuttle." I glance at Damien and he nods, knowing I would not stand to wait for them to check it first.

"Ready the shuttle for transport. We'll be going to have a closer look, East, Hugin, come with me, the rest of you, begin more in-depth scans of the system, we want a full report by the time we get back." Damien was quick to take charge of the ship and give the proper orders that I didn't know I had to give. Luckily, he was my second in command and knew how to command a ship from when he worked with the Egis.

I was dressed in a tight black leather corset with a metal chest plate and a pair of leather pants with matching heeled lace-up black boots. It was a killer outfit and practical if I had to fight with anyone. It would have been foolish of me to think that with how blood thirsty and battle-proven the tales of my mother's people were, that there wouldn't be any fighting. Of course, there was hoping and there was being stupid, I was prepared to shed blood if I had to.